PDA

View Full Version : ferry to morocco

jplant
October 28th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Any tips on good/bad connections/ frequency and cost? Also what sort of
weather conditions in January?

thanks

jplant

Miguel Cruz
October 28th, 2003, 03:01 AM
jplant > wrote:
> Any tips on good/bad connections/ frequency and cost? Also what sort of
> weather conditions in January?

The ferries are about hourly so there's not much to worry about - just show
up, buy a ticket, and board. Costs 25 euro each way. I've only taken it a
few times in January but it was always pretty smooth.

miguel
--
Travel photos and stories from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

prethamani
December 12th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Miguel Cruz

> jplant > wrote:

> > Any tips on good/bad connections/ frequency and cost? Also what
> sort of

> > weather conditions in January?

> The ferries are about hourly so there's not much to worry about -
> just show

> up, buy a ticket, and board. Costs 25 euro each way. I've only
> taken it a

> few times in January but it was always pretty smooth.

> miguel

> --

> Travel photos and stories from around the world:
> http://travel.u.nu/http://travel.u.nu/

Hey Miguel, any tips on the best way to get from Tangier to Marrakesh
going through Fez. By the CTM bus or by train? Any thought would be
much appreciated. Also, can you recommend someplace comfortable to stay
in Fez without a reservation ahead of time? Haven't reserved ahead of
time because of timing issues with the ferry from Algeciras etc..., but
price is not that much of an issue. Thanks!

Miguel Cruz
December 13th, 2003, 01:34 AM
prethamani > wrote:
> Hey Miguel, any tips on the best way to get from Tangier to Marrakesh
> going through Fez. By the CTM bus or by train? Any thought would be
> much appreciated. Also, can you recommend someplace comfortable to stay
> in Fez without a reservation ahead of time? Haven't reserved ahead of
> time because of timing issues with the ferry from Algeciras etc..., but
> price is not that much of an issue. Thanks!

From Tanger to Fes the train is a no-brainer; it's the most comfortable way
and it leaves 6 times a day so you shouldn't have to wait that long. The
trip takes about 4-1/2 hours.

From Fes to Marrakech you may be able to save some time by taking the bus
(it's a more direct route) but personally I'd go for the train on that one
too (6-1/2 hours) just for the ability to walk around. The crowds on train
vs bus are different; on the train you'll have a lot of middle class people
who can speak some English (and almost all will know French). On the bus
it's Arabic and Berber and some French.

Coming back, if you're going from Marrakech all the way back to Tanger, the
overnight train is great. The sleeper costs just $5 more and you save a day
of travel by sleeping through it.

The places I've stayed in Fes over the years have been perfectly fine, but
nothing that stands out as a great deal like the Hotel Ali in Marrakech.
Last time in Fes we stayed at the Hotel Cascades, which has a great location
(right inside the main gate to the old city) and was well-cleaned but is
fairly spartan (shared bath, hot water available).

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/