PDA

View Full Version : RADIENCE TO ALASKA

Cruiseforme2
September 16th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Looking into booking this ship for next year. I thought I had read at
sometime, that the rooms E1,2, and 3, which are on a curve seem to give you a
little more room. Has anyone stayed in these rooms, and what was your
impression.
Thanks

D Ball
September 16th, 2003, 06:42 PM
As best I know, the size of the stateroom is the same (and not large as staterooms
go, but just right). It's the size of the balcony that varies. Some of the
balconies at the center of the "hump" and some at the far sides of the hump
are larger than others. Beware, there are some on the curve close to the
center that are teensy-tiny pie-shaped balconies barely large enough to hold
2 chairs & a table. We had one of those recently & were happy that an upgrade
opportunity came along--it was not a desirable balcony. If you look at deck
plans (online at RCI's site), you can figure out the balcony configurations
to some extent.

Cabins aside, based on our experience on the Radiance's baby sister Serenade,
I'd have to say this is one really good-looking ship. You'll love it. And
Alaksa is magnificent!

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX
http://www.dianaball.net

NCL Sea - W. Carib - Holidays 99
RCI Explorer - E. Carib - Holidays 00
RCI Rhapsody - W. Carib - Holidays 01 (back-to-back)
NCL Star - Hawaii - June 02
Dawn Princess - Alaska - July 02
Star Princess - Mex Riviera - Holidays 02
RCI Serenade – Transatlantic 08/03 (maiden voyage)
RCI Mariner – E Carib – Holidays 03

(Cruiseforme2) wrote:
>Looking into booking this ship for next year. I thought I had read at
>sometime, that the rooms E1,2, and 3, which are on a curve seem to give
you a
>little more room. Has anyone stayed in these rooms, and what was your
>impression.
>Thanks

Kevin Stock
September 16th, 2003, 06:58 PM
I was in 8086 on the Radiance and while the cabin was not any bigger the
balcony was huge.

"Cruiseforme2" > wrote in message
> Looking into booking this ship for next year. I thought I had read at
> sometime, that the rooms E1,2, and 3, which are on a curve seem to give
you a
> little more room. Has anyone stayed in these rooms, and what was your
> impression.
> Thanks

Mike
September 17th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Just got back from Alaska aboard the Star - It was spectacular. Saw the
Radiance several times - I know because I've been on that ship. The one
thing you want to look for is they have elevators on only one location - in
the middle. They are cool, being glass enclosed and in the atrium, but if
you're near the bow or stern, it's a hike.

"Kevin Stock" > wrote in message
> I was in 8086 on the Radiance and while the cabin was not any bigger the
> balcony was huge.
>

> "Cruiseforme2" > wrote in message
> > Looking into booking this ship for next year. I thought I had read at
> > sometime, that the rooms E1,2, and 3, which are on a curve seem to give
> you a
> > little more room. Has anyone stayed in these rooms, and what was your
> > impression.
> > Thanks

EileenMcDonald
September 17th, 2003, 02:10 AM
>> Saw the
Radiance several times - I know because I've been on that ship. The one
thing you want to look for is they have elevators on only one location - in
the middle. They are cool, being glass enclosed and in the atrium, but if
you're near the bow or stern, it's a hike. <

I'm not so sure that's true. I've been told Radiance and Brilliance are
nearly identical in layout. Both ships have no public aft elevators...the
front of the ship does. We were in cabin 7036, on the BOS and we are booked
into this same room, again, for the Nov. 24, Thanksgiving cruise, our cabin
is 2 doors away from the elevator. I really don't understand all the
complaints about the lack of an aft elevator (with exceptions for those with
physical limitations, of course). We never used that elevator, the one 2
doors away, we just walked the corridor till we got to the main elevators.
We were usually headed to deck 6, Colony Club, Schooner Bar area. One way or
another we still would have to walk! If we took the elevator, we would have
walked the same distance, just on a different deck. Same hike, different
scenery.

Eileen

---

EileenMcDonald
September 17th, 2003, 02:23 AM
>> We never used that elevator, the one 2
doors away, we just walked the corridor till we got to the main elevators.
<<

Oops! Should have added....banged a quick left, another quick right, and
down a flight of stairs to deck 6.

Eileen

---

Harry
September 17th, 2003, 02:43 AM
We were on this ship, in one of these cabins, on its pre-inaugural cruise
out of Ft. Lauderdale. The balconies are indeed larger - HOWEVER - you
cannot see to the bow or stern around the elevators. We were just aft of the
elevators, I forget the cabin number, and it was impossible to see close in
forward. We had to look off at an angle to see forward. We found this to be
not to our liking. We are thinking of another Alaska cruise next year and
will not sail on this ship because of that configuration.

We do love RCI and will probably sail with them, just not on this class of
ship. We enjoy the views from the balcony, and the view is limited. Other
than that - great ship. Loved it.

--
Harry
"Cruiseforme2" > wrote in message
> Looking into booking this ship for next year. I thought I had read at
> sometime, that the rooms E1,2, and 3, which are on a curve seem to give
you a
> little more room. Has anyone stayed in these rooms, and what was your
> impression.
> Thanks

Jeff Coudriet
September 17th, 2003, 03:46 AM
I understand the complaints! We are not physically challenged, but I
found it to be a pain in the butt to have to walk to the "centrum" just
to get anywhere. "Ooops, I forgot my book"....back down that long
hallway and all the way back.....you get the picture. I think it's a
real design flaw.

Jeff