PDA

View Full Version : Re: Disney Wonder 31 Aug - 4 Sep

Mike
September 19th, 2003, 05:08 PM
I was on the same cruise. My daughter is 14 and did take part in Common
Grounds for teens. We barely saw her for most of the cruise. Did you
happen to see the new show The Golden Mickeys?

Mike

"Mike" > wrote in message
> Don't see much about Disney Cruises on rtc, so I though I would post this
for
> those who may be considering such a cruise.
>
> Just got off a 4-day Wonder cruise with my two daughters, ages 13 and 10.
> Their ninth and eighth cruise, respectively, and my 10th.
>
> Our three most recent cruises have been on Princess (Regal/Panama Canal,
> Sky/Alaska, and Royal/British Isles) and they were all 10 days or longer.
My
> wife and I did a three-day cruise on the Carnival Fantasy in 1994 and did
not
> particularly enjoy it. My wife and I and our daughters (7 and 4 at the
time)
> did a four-day cruise on the Nordic Empress in 1997 and liked it very
much.

> We have also done seven-day cruises on Dolphin (1993-Seabreeze, best food
of
> any cruise I have taken), NCL (1995-Seaward), HAL (1997-Noordam), and
Celebrity
> (1999-Horizon) and enjoyed them all.
>
> With that as background, I really enjoyed our four days on the Wonder.
The
> ship is striking and easily to navigate, and the dinners were as good as
those
> I have recently enjoyed on Princess (that may have been the biggest
surprise).
> We liked all three dining rooms. The wait staff was young and pleasant
(Darko
> from Croatia and Morgan from Slovenia) but not polished. We had to wait
for
> bread when we sat down for dinner and my wine glass was often empty.
>
> We paid for the cheapest inside (Florida Resident), were upgraded twice
and
> ended up in a Category 8 room (7002) that slept four. The room was just
big
> enough for the three of us for the four days and I liked the way the room
was
> divided at night so the girls didn't keep me up and I didn't bother them
when I
> got up early. The room steward (Rosello) was quietly efficient and earned
an
> extra tip by finding part of an electronic device I had dropped in the
room and
> could not find.
>
> I found a nice quiet area (The Quiet Cove) to hang out while may daughters
> participated in the swimming activities yet could briefly come and see
> me/report it. The shows were outstanding, as you would expect from
Disney, and
> the Walt Disney Theater was a perfect setting. We especially enjoyed
> "Hercules" which was clever and sardonic and adult in the finest sense.
"The
> Golden Mickeys" on the first night was fun and "Disney Dreams" on the last
> night was sweet although aimed at the younger children.
>
> We only left the ship for Castaway Cay, one daughter going parasailing and
the
> other going to the Family Beach while I took video of the Parasailer.
(Having
> been to Nassau several times, we did not get off there). The last day was
the
> Sea Day and I used it to finish two books and my daughters spent the day
eating
> and swimming.
>
> My 10-year spent a lot of time in the Oceaneers Club. My teen missed the
first
> night's teen meeting (at 10:30 pm--just too darn late for what had been a
long
> day) and so spent most of her time either with me and with her sister or
in the
> Quartermaster and the Internet Cafe.
>
> Perhaps my biggest enjoyment on the cruise was seeing the Disney magic at
work
> on the younger children. I wish I had had an opportunity to take my
daughters
> several years ago. We live in Orlando and the Disney Cruise is like being
> Disney World 24 hours a day for four days (not necessarily for everyone,
but
> hey at age 59.8 I loved it!). I feel several years younger just having
been on
> this cruise. The mix of peoples was invigorating and no sour pusses were
found
> anywhere. The ship was sold out but never felt especially crowded (maybe
> because I spent the sea day in the adult area).
>
> Would I do it again? Definitely not a four-nighter for all the obvious
> reasons, not the least of which is that we can afford longer cruises. My
wife
> did not go for work reasons, but had she known about the no-smoking in the
> staterooms (a surprise to me) she would have added that as another reason
not
> to go. She is not a big Disney fan, but if she stopped smoking and if
Disney
> starts going to Bermuda on seven day cruises and we can get a deal and our
> daughters beg me again, we would.
>
> The ship is a stunner and the experience was quite satifying.
>

> Mike

---

Mike
September 20th, 2003, 12:27 PM
>I was on the same cruise. My daughter is 14 and did take part in Common
>Grounds for teens. We barely saw her for most of the cruise. Did you
>happen to see the new show The Golden Mickeys?

Yes and we enjoyed it very much, as we enjoyed Hercules two nights later. The
Disney polish and professionalism was quite evident.

Mike