PDA

View Full Version : Lamu or Zanzibar

Wilson
September 23rd, 2003, 04:11 PM
I'm in two minds whether to go Zanzibar or Lamu. Which one is better?
Also, any flight between Mombasa and Lamu? If yes, what about time
schedule?

Liz
September 23rd, 2003, 05:27 PM
In message >
(Wilson) wrote:

> I'm in two minds whether to go Zanzibar or Lamu. Which one is better?

How long is a piece of string.
Like any comparison, you could maybe have helped us by saying what would
make it better for you.

I loved Zanzibar, would go again; haven't been to Lamu (yet?) but would like
to.

Anyway, give us more of a clue and we'll be able to help more.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles

Hans-Georg Michna
September 24th, 2003, 10:22 AM
(Wilson) wrote:

>I'm in two minds whether to go Zanzibar or Lamu. Which one is better?
>Also, any flight between Mombasa and Lamu? If yes, what about time
>schedule?

I personally think that Lamu is always very good for a one or
two night trip between wildlife safaris.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Pat Anderson
September 24th, 2003, 02:15 PM
In message >, Hans-Georg
Michna > writes
(Wilson) wrote:

>>I'm in two minds whether to go Zanzibar or Lamu. Which one is better?
>>Also, any flight between Mombasa and Lamu? If yes, what about time
>>schedule?
>
>I personally think that Lamu is always very good for a one or
>two night trip between wildlife safaris.
>
>Hans-Georg

Lamu is worth a visit but for me a day or two at most was sufficient.
There are flights from Mombasa and Malindi, which are about half an
hour`s duration.
I loved Zanzibar! In Stonetown there is so much history. The buildings
are wonderful plus there is a museum worth seeing. The hotels are good
too. There are beach resorts as well as Stonetown. You can find plenty
of information on the web.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Tashi
September 25th, 2003, 03:13 AM
I would pick Malindi over Lamu. You can do alot in and around Malindi.
Zanzibar would be the number one though (haven't been there and it seems
more interesting) I have a friend (native Kenyan)in Mombasa, who says that
Lamu isn't very safe at the moment.

"Pat Anderson" > wrote in message
> In message >, Hans-Georg
> Michna > writes
> (Wilson) wrote:
> >
> >>I'm in two minds whether to go Zanzibar or Lamu. Which one is better?
> >>Also, any flight between Mombasa and Lamu? If yes, what about time
> >>schedule?
> >
> >I personally think that Lamu is always very good for a one or
> >two night trip between wildlife safaris.
> >
> >Hans-Georg
> >
> Lamu is worth a visit but for me a day or two at most was sufficient.
> There are flights from Mombasa and Malindi, which are about half an
> hour`s duration.
> I loved Zanzibar! In Stonetown there is so much history. The buildings
> are wonderful plus there is a museum worth seeing. The hotels are good
> too. There are beach resorts as well as Stonetown. You can find plenty
> of information on the web.
> Pat
> --
> Pat Anderson

Hans-Georg Michna
September 25th, 2003, 10:32 AM
"Tashi" > wrote:

>I would pick Malindi over Lamu. You can do alot in and around Malindi.
>Zanzibar would be the number one though (haven't been there and it seems
>more interesting) I have a friend (native Kenyan)in Mombasa, who says that
>Lamu isn't very safe at the moment.

Tashi,

I can't agree to either. I find Lamu much more interesting than
Malindi, and I can state that Lamu itself is safe, though the
road there may not always be.

I flew there in June when the roads were unpassable anyway.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Pat Anderson
September 25th, 2003, 06:54 PM
In message >, Wilson
> writes
>I'm in two minds whether to go Zanzibar or Lamu. Which one is better?
>Also, any flight between Mombasa and Lamu? If yes, what about time
>schedule?
Lamu is a "different" part of the Kenya coast. It is as if time had
stood still. I must admit to it not being my favourite place. When we
landed on Manda by air, I then found there was no proper jetty. I was
terrified scrambling over rocks and then having to go both up and down
steep stone steps ! I spent my time there being scared about the
return trip!
Hans Georg, do you know if any improvements have been made? I know I
sound like a wimp but it was scary.
Also, the donkey droppings everywhere were not too pleasant. Shela
is probably the best place to go.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson