TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can you bring a sealed can of soda on a plane? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=146054)

Ken Litwak November 7th, 2008 03:39 AM

Can you bring a sealed can of soda on a plane?

I know there are restrictions on liquids, like water bottles, toothpaste
tubes, shampoo, etc. What about soda cans? Since it would be a
challenge for most of us to put something into a soda can and then seal
it so that it looked factory-sealed, I'm wondering if this is okay to
bring through security.

James Robinson November 7th, 2008 03:58 AM

Ken Litwak wrote:

I know there are restrictions on liquids, like water bottles, toothpaste
tubes, shampoo, etc. What about soda cans? Since it would be a
challenge for most of us to put something into a soda can and then seal
it so that it looked factory-sealed, I'm wondering if this is okay to
bring through security.

Not allowed through security.

You can only take drinks on the plane that you purchase after security.

Ken Litwak November 7th, 2008 04:01 AM

James Robinson wrote:
Ken Litwak wrote:

I know there are restrictions on liquids, like water bottles, toothpaste
tubes, shampoo, etc. What about soda cans? Since it would be a
challenge for most of us to put something into a soda can and then seal
it so that it looked factory-sealed, I'm wondering if this is okay to
bring through security.

Not allowed through security.

You can only take drinks on the plane that you purchase after security.

Thanks. That seems really dumb to me.

Me November 7th, 2008 04:59 AM

Ken Litwak wrote:
I know there are restrictions on liquids, like water bottles, toothpaste
tubes, shampoo, etc. What about soda cans? Since it would be a
challenge for most of us to put something into a soda can and then seal
it so that it looked factory-sealed, I'm wondering if this is okay to
bring through security.

No. the restriction is against "liquids" both in the U.S. and other
countries.

Jim Davis[_1_] November 7th, 2008 04:09 PM

"Ken Litwak" wrote in message
James Robinson wrote:
Ken Litwak wrote:

Thanks. That seems really dumb to me.

Welcome to the world of Homeland Security.

CobusGrobler November 7th, 2008 09:14 PM

On 7 Nov, 16:09, "Jim Davis" wrote:
"Ken Litwak" wrote in message

James Robinson wrote:
Ken Litwak wrote:

Thanks. *That seems really dumb to me.

Welcome to the world of Homeland Security.

everyone knows that terrorists don't work in duty free....

John Doe[_2_] November 8th, 2008 12:58 AM

Me wrote:

No. the restriction is against "liquids" both in the U.S. and other
countries.

So a can filled with "air" (air from city X, as a tourist gimmick) would
be OK to bring on the plane, but a standard 7-up or sprite depending on
your religion would not be OK.

So, a "souvenir" can filled from air from the Paris sewers would be OK,
despite the risk it may contain lots of compressed methane ready to
explode. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Can't wait for them to invent liquid explosives that are injected into
the body. They might ban human bodies through security :-)

irwell November 8th, 2008 03:59 PM

Can you bring a sealed can of soda on a plane?

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 21:33:35 -0500, Shawn Hirn wrote:

In article ,
Ken Litwak wrote:

I know there are restrictions on liquids, like water bottles, toothpaste
tubes, shampoo, etc. What about soda cans? Since it would be a
challenge for most of us to put something into a soda can and then seal
it so that it looked factory-sealed, I'm wondering if this is okay to
bring through security.

As long as you buy the soda in one of the food concession stands after
you pass through the security gates, it is no problem.

At Manchester Airport in the Duty free section shop they have small
bottles of wine for sale, a notice is also on display that states
they are not for consumption aboard the plane!

Hatunen November 9th, 2008 12:02 AM

Can you bring a sealed can of soda on a plane?

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 03:01:38 GMT, Ken Litwak
wrote:

James Robinson wrote:
Ken Litwak wrote:

I know there are restrictions on liquids, like water bottles, toothpaste
tubes, shampoo, etc. What about soda cans? Since it would be a
challenge for most of us to put something into a soda can and then seal
it so that it looked factory-sealed, I'm wondering if this is okay to
bring through security.

Not allowed through security.

You can only take drinks on the plane that you purchase after security.

Thanks. That seems really dumb to me.

When I think of the stuff that could be hidden in a 12-oz Coke
can it doesn't seem that dumb to me. Or are you thinking someone
who wanted to couldn't manage to make a Coke can look sealed?

TEP November 9th, 2008 01:04 PM

"Ken Litwak" wrote in message

Not allowed through security.

You can only take drinks on the plane that you purchase after security.

Thanks. That seems really dumb to me.

We certainly understand your sentiment. It has been reported that the "ban"
on liquids taken through security may be repealed in 2009. So, stay tuned.