TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Getting from Vancouver to Kelowna... (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18363)

Doug February 1st, 2004 03:14 PM

Getting from Vancouver to Kelowna...

I will be in Vancouver for a few days soon, and have a friend who
lives in Westbank near Kelowna who I'd like to visit. Whats the best
way to get there, train or hire a car ? And how long would it take by
each method? I suspect car hire would be best, but as its winter I'm
not sure what the road conditions might be like, advice there would
also be appreciated, especially suggestions about the best route to
take.

TIA.

--Doug.

Aramis February 1st, 2004 04:26 PM

Getting from Vancouver to Kelowna...

Rent a car.

Rail service in Canada sucks, and there won't be any snow along the route
you are taking. Snow in Vancouver and Kelowna is quite rare. There's really
only one route - head east on the Trans Canada Highway and follow the signs.

It's a bit of a haul - 4 1/2 hours - you could fly.

"Doug" wrote in message
m...
I will be in Vancouver for a few days soon, and have a friend who
lives in Westbank near Kelowna who I'd like to visit. Whats the best
way to get there, train or hire a car ? And how long would it take by
each method? I suspect car hire would be best, but as its winter I'm
not sure what the road conditions might be like, advice there would
also be appreciated, especially suggestions about the best route to
take.

TIA.

--Doug.

honu February 1st, 2004 04:52 PM

Getting from Vancouver to Kelowna...

You might want to check out WestJet www.westjet.com or the Air Canada
subsidiary (is it Jazz?). In October we flew from Vancouver to Kelowna for
$99 CND roundtrip on West Jet. It's an hours flight.

ble.rogers.com...

"Doug" wrote in message
m...
I will be in Vancouver for a few days soon, and have a friend who
lives in Westbank near Kelowna who I'd like to visit. Whats the best
way to get there, train or hire a car ? And how long would it take by
each method? I suspect car hire would be best, but as its winter I'm
not sure what the road conditions might be like, advice there would
also be appreciated, especially suggestions about the best route to
take.

TIA.

--Doug.

Richard February 1st, 2004 07:45 PM

On 1 Feb 2004 07:14:49 -0800, (Doug) wrote:

I will be in Vancouver for a few days soon, and have a friend who
lives in Westbank near Kelowna who I'd like to visit. Whats the best
way to get there, train or hire a car ? And how long would it take by
each method? I suspect car hire would be best, but as its winter I'm
not sure what the road conditions might be like, advice there would
also be appreciated, especially suggestions about the best route to
take.

TIA.

--Doug.

There is no train.

The drive along Highway 1 to Hope, Highway 5 (the Coquihalla) to
Merritt and 97C to Westbank is driveable most of the winter. However
during and after a big storm it can either be closed (as it was in
Friday) or dangerous. Expect 'Compact Snow and Slippery sections' as
the road signs advice. Also there can often be dense fog on the road
between Merritt and Westbank. Probably 4 hours to Westbank.

There is an alternatove route from Hope via Highway 3 to Princeton and
then on Penticton and to Westbank. This will take signficantly longer
but was open when the Coquihalla was closed the other day since it has
a lower avalanche hazard.

Or fly as someone else has suggested. The airport in Kelowna is the
other side of town to Westbank but it isn't that far

Dave Smith February 1st, 2004 08:08 PM

Doug wrote:

I will be in Vancouver for a few days soon, and have a friend who
lives in Westbank near Kelowna who I'd like to visit. Whats the best
way to get there, train or hire a car ? And how long would it take by
each method? I suspect car hire would be best, but as its winter I'm
not sure what the road conditions might be like, advice there would
also be appreciated, especially suggestions about the best route to
take.

You should check out air fares. It is a 6-7 hour drive from Vancouver to
Kelowna in good weather, and you have to go through mountains to get
there.
Try this link:
http://www.kelowna.worldweb.com/Tran...l?vid=36743601

Jimminee February 1st, 2004 09:07 PM

Getting from Vancouver to Kelowna...

If you're thinking of renting a car these people have a good weekend deal right
now $9.95CA per day http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do

"Doug" wrote in message
m...
I will be in Vancouver for a few days soon, and have a friend who
lives in Westbank near Kelowna who I'd like to visit. Whats the best
way to get there, train or hire a car ? And how long would it take by
each method? I suspect car hire would be best, but as its winter I'm
not sure what the road conditions might be like, advice there would
also be appreciated, especially suggestions about the best route to
take.

TIA.

--Doug.

Richard February 1st, 2004 09:29 PM

Getting from Vancouver to Kelowna...

You should check out air fares. It is a 6-7 hour drive from Vancouver to
Kelowna in good weather, and you have to go through mountains to get
there.

You must drive real slow. Expedia says 4 hrs 16 mins to Kelowna.

I can't remember ever taking longer than 5 hours even in fairly bad
weather

Dave Smith February 1st, 2004 11:47 PM

Richard wrote:

You should check out air fares. It is a 6-7 hour drive from Vancouver to
Kelowna in good weather, and you have to go through mountains to get
there.

You must drive real slow. Expedia says 4 hrs 16 mins to Kelowna.

I can't remember ever taking longer than 5 hours even in fairly bad
weather

As I recall, we caught a 9 am bus from downtown Victoria to Vancouver
airport, picked up a rental car, headed north to catch the TransCanada,
stopped along the way for a bite to eat and a stop at the liquor store, then
back on the highway, took the Cokahla (sp?) and arrived in Kelowna at 7 pm,
driving just fast enough not to get nailed for speeding.

Aramis February 2nd, 2004 01:33 AM

Getting from Vancouver to Kelowna...

You came from Victoria? Across the Strait of Georgia, then to a rental
counter at an airport, then food, then liquor, and you want to compare that
to a straight drive?

It's a 4 1/2 hour drive straight time - period.

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Richard wrote:

You should check out air fares. It is a 6-7 hour drive from Vancouver

Kelowna in good weather, and you have to go through mountains to get
there.

You must drive real slow. Expedia says 4 hrs 16 mins to Kelowna.

I can't remember ever taking longer than 5 hours even in fairly bad
weather

As I recall, we caught a 9 am bus from downtown Victoria to Vancouver
airport, picked up a rental car, headed north to catch the TransCanada,
stopped along the way for a bite to eat and a stop at the liquor store,

then
back on the highway, took the Cokahla (sp?) and arrived in Kelowna at 7

pm,
driving just fast enough not to get nailed for speeding.

wumpygirl February 2nd, 2004 01:54 AM

"Doug" wrote in message
m...
I will be in Vancouver for a few days soon, and have a friend who
lives in Westbank near Kelowna who I'd like to visit. Whats the best
way to get there, train or hire a car ? And how long would it take by
each method? I suspect car hire would be best, but as its winter I'm
not sure what the road conditions might be like, advice there would
also be appreciated, especially suggestions about the best route to
take.

TIA.

--Doug.

I have to agree with what honu suggested. Fly.

Just curious, are you familiar with driving on the "right" side of the road?
If not, I imagine that you'd find the hours it takes to drive from Vancouver
to Kelowna stressful.

I know for me that just being in the passenger seat of a car in the UK was
enough to stress me out. LOLOL

Judy