TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   This is Just Nuts (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=55821)

January 11th, 2005 04:44 PM

This is Just Nuts

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

You need to travel more, and take a course in economics (Capitalism).

The only decent one-way fares are on low-cost airlines like Southwest,
flyi.com, jetblue, etc.

January 11th, 2005 04:44 PM

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

You need to travel more, and take a course in economics (Capitalism).

The only decent one-way fares are on low-cost airlines like Southwest,
flyi.com, jetblue, etc.

mrtravel January 11th, 2005 04:53 PM

wrote:

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

You need to travel more, and take a course in economics (Capitalism).

The only decent one-way fares are on low-cost airlines like Southwest,
flyi.com, jetblue, etc.

Economics also would make it reasonable to believe that other carriers
flying the same routes as the airlines mentioned, might also have these
discounted one way fares.

wrote:

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

You need to travel more, and take a course in economics (Capitalism).

The only decent one-way fares are on low-cost airlines like Southwest,
flyi.com, jetblue, etc.

Economics also would make it reasonable to believe that other carriers
flying the same routes as the airlines mentioned, might also have these
discounted one way fares.

Skip Elliott Bowman January 11th, 2005 05:22 PM

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
Why the hell should it cost LESS for a ROUND-TRIP ticket between a
given pair of cities than it does for a ONE-WAY ticket between those
same two cities?

snip

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

Scott, here's an answer for you:

http://elliott.org/vault/critic/1998/fares.htm

Skip Elliott Bowman January 11th, 2005 05:22 PM

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
Why the hell should it cost LESS for a ROUND-TRIP ticket between a
given pair of cities than it does for a ONE-WAY ticket between those
same two cities?

snip

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

Scott, here's an answer for you:

http://elliott.org/vault/critic/1998/fares.htm

Bob Myers January 11th, 2005 05:25 PM

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
Why the hell should it cost LESS for a ROUND-TRIP ticket between a
given pair of cities than it does for a ONE-WAY ticket between those
same two cities?

SNA to ERI, flying tomorrow, returning Feb 8: $635 on NWA.
SNA to ERI, flying tomorrow: One-way fare is $830.60. SAME planes,
SAME flight numbers, SAME everything as the outgoing portion of the
round trip, but instead of costing less as it should, it costs MORE. I
might as well just buy the round trip ticket and throw half of it
away...

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

OK, you're naive. :-) Why would you think that this
SHOULD make sense to you? Airfare pricing policies
are driven by one goal: to maximize the profitability of
the airline. Making sense to the consumer is way, way
down the list, other than to whatever extent it may
contribute to that first goal.

Bob M.

[...]

Joseph Meehan January 11th, 2005 05:50 PM

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
Why the hell should it cost LESS for a ROUND-TRIP ticket between a
given pair of cities than it does for a ONE-WAY ticket between those
same two cities?

SNA to ERI, flying tomorrow, returning Feb 8: $635 on NWA.
SNA to ERI, flying tomorrow: One-way fare is $830.60. SAME planes,
SAME flight numbers, SAME everything as the outgoing portion of the
round trip, but instead of costing less as it should, it costs MORE. I
might as well just buy the round trip ticket and throw half of it
away...

Call me naive, just makes no sense at all to me.

Such is life. The airlines don't even understand it.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

nobody January 11th, 2005 06:54 PM

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

Why the hell should it cost LESS for a ROUND-TRIP ticket between a
given pair of cities than it does for a ONE-WAY ticket between those
same two cities?

Because, just like car rental, it costs less to the airline when the airplane
returns to its point of origin instead of being left in some distant city :-)