TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Alaska Airlines still doesn't care about safety (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=177892)

Mxsmanic August 9th, 2012 11:24 AM

Alaska Airlines still doesn't care about safety

You'd think that losing an entire aircraft with 88 people aboard due to greed
and inadequate maintenance would have taught Alaska Airlines something, but it
hasn't. Look at this latest example of ignoring safety:

http://us.cnn.com/2012/08/08/travel/...ote/index.html

JohnT[_8_] August 9th, 2012 01:05 PM

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
You'd think that losing an entire aircraft with 88 people aboard due to
greed
and inadequate maintenance would have taught Alaska Airlines something,
but it
hasn't. Look at this latest example of ignoring safety:

http://us.cnn.com/2012/08/08/travel/...ote/index.html

But the FAA said it was safe to fly. And you haven't been outside Paris for
the past 10 years so how does it give you a problem?

--
JohnT

Mxsmanic August 9th, 2012 05:09 PM

JohnT writes:

But the FAA said it was safe to fly.

The FAA approved the maintenance delays back in 2000, too. And look where that
led. Just because the FAA doesn't forbid something doesn't make it a good
idea. Alaska Airlines elected to cut corners out of a total lack of concern
for safety and pure greed, and apparently they are still doing it today.

And you haven't been outside Paris for the past 10 years so how does
it give you a problem?

Aviation safety is one of my interests. I don't limit my interest in safety to
situations that affect me personally; I worry about the safety of others as
well. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of people like that (especially in
management at Alaska Airlines).

Bert[_2_] August 9th, 2012 06:15 PM

Alaska Airlines still doesn't care about safety

In Mxsmanic
wrote:

The FAA approved the maintenance delays back in 2000, too. And look
where that led. Just because the FAA doesn't forbid something doesn't
make it a good idea.

But it's from The Government, so it must be good.

--
St. Paul, MN

Mxsmanic August 9th, 2012 08:29 PM

Bert writes:

But it's from The Government, so it must be good.

I think that was essentially what Alaska Airlines has claimed in both cases,
but the argument rings a bit hollow, especially to next of kin.

[email protected] August 9th, 2012 11:31 PM

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
JohnT writes:

But the FAA said it was safe to fly.

The FAA approved the maintenance delays back in 2000, too. And look where that
led.

And just where was that, exactly?

Just because the FAA doesn't forbid something doesn't make it a good
idea.

Nor does it make it a bad idea.

Alaska Airlines elected to cut corners out of a total lack of concern
for safety and pure greed, and apparently they are still doing it today.

And you know this how?

And you haven't been outside Paris for the past 10 years so how does
it give you a problem?

Aviation safety is one of my interests. I don't limit my interest in safety to
situations that affect me personally; I worry about the safety of others as
well. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of people like that (especially in
management at Alaska Airlines).

Essentially you have libeled Alaska Airlines; what do you have to back
up these accusations?

Mxsmanic August 10th, 2012 12:45 AM

writes:

And just where was that, exactly?

If you've read all the reports, as I have, you know that the constant
extensions of maintenance intervals ultimately resulted in the interval for a
jackscrew to extend beyond safe limits. This was compounded by incompetent
mechanics doing maintenance on the jackscrew improperly.

And you know this how?

Because I read all the reports. It's an accident that I studied quite a bit.
If you had read all the reports, you'd know this.

Essentially you have libeled Alaska Airlines; what do you have to back
up these accusations?

The reports that I read, and you didn't. They're welcome to try, but they'll
lose (and it'll be a PR fiasco for them, too, which might not be such a bad
idea).

[email protected] August 10th, 2012 12:50 AM

writes:

And just where was that, exactly?

If you've read all the reports, as I have, you know that the constant
extensions of maintenance intervals ultimately resulted in the interval for a
jackscrew to extend beyond safe limits. This was compounded by incompetent
mechanics doing maintenance on the jackscrew improperly.

And you know this how?

Because I read all the reports. It's an accident that I studied quite a bit.
If you had read all the reports, you'd know this.

Essentially you have libeled Alaska Airlines; what do you have to back
up these accusations?

The reports that I read, and you didn't. They're welcome to try, but they'll
lose (and it'll be a PR fiasco for them, too, which might not be such a bad
idea).

I notice you keep talking about "reports" that are neither named nor
quoted.

Mxsmanic August 10th, 2012 01:02 AM

writes:

I notice you keep talking about "reports" that are neither named nor
quoted.

Google is your friend. They are all available online, and they are quite
interesting if you like the topic of aviation safety.

bill August 10th, 2012 01:39 AM

writes:

[...]

And they won't be.