TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Paying to get on first (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=83303)

tim \(in Sweden\) February 13th, 2006 10:40 PM

Paying to get on first

Stelios was being interviewed on (BBC) R5 last night and he revealed
that his latest scam, um fare reducing idea, is to charge extra to be in
group A and get on first.

He suggested 5 pounds would put you in the same group as the:
families with children.

Can't say I'd be buying this myself, any takers?

tim

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of bess February 13th, 2006 11:28 PM

Paying to get on first

tim (in Sweden) wrote:

Stelios was being interviewed on (BBC) R5 last night and he revealed
that his latest scam, um fare reducing idea, is to charge extra to be in
group A and get on first.

He suggested 5 pounds would put you in the same group as the:
families with children.

Can't say I'd be buying this myself, any takers?

Probably would be some, and I've been on a few easyjet flights with no
young kids!

Wasn't it you that was enthusing about his cheap hotels without windows?
Well, out of curiosity, I've booked one for next week in London. The
remote to operate the "large screen" TV in the room is apparently £5.
Forget that, I think I'll just get up to some after-work imbibing. I'll
post back, if I've anything interesting to say about it. The hotel, not
the drinks... :)

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org

Jim Ley February 14th, 2006 01:58 AM

Paying to get on first

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:28:58 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Wasn't it you that was enthusing about his cheap hotels without windows?
Well, out of curiosity, I've booked one for next week in London. The
remote to operate the "large screen" TV in the room is apparently £5.

How much did you pay, looking for a month away it appears to be about
45 quid a night?

As a comparison I booked a Zone 5 travellodge 10 days away for 26 quid
and 6 weeks away for 10 quid, sure it's zone 5, but that's only 30
minutes and a travel card from waterloo and car-parking is free. You
also get a TV, coffee stuff, and a sofa...

Jim.

Traveller February 14th, 2006 09:39 AM

Paying to get on first

"Derek McBryde" wrote in message

Probably not. I had a peculiar experience with Easyjet a couple of
months ago. I checked in just after the flight was opened. When I
came to board they were calling by boarding pass number and I found I
was near the back of the queue. I find it very hard to believe that
all of the other people checked in before me ( not impossible but
unlikely) so I am still wondering what the score was there.

Easyjet may or may not enforce the boarding priority system for any given
flight, depending, it seems, on how they feel.... I've checked in early, got
a low number, and still not been first on. Some passengers are either too
rude, too stupid, or both, to understand the system and as soon as there's a
move towards the aircraft they're on their feet, regardless of what priority
they've been assigned. Gate staff don't help either - they don't explain
the system when they call the flight, and not everyone will have flown with
that airline before...

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of bess February 14th, 2006 10:48 AM

Paying to get on first

Jim Ley wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:28:58 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Wasn't it you that was enthusing about his cheap hotels without windows?
Well, out of curiosity, I've booked one for next week in London. The
remote to operate the "large screen" TV in the room is apparently £5.

How much did you pay, looking for a month away it appears to be about
45 quid a night?

£40

As a comparison I booked a Zone 5 travellodge 10 days away for 26 quid
and 6 weeks away for 10 quid, sure it's zone 5, but that's only 30
minutes and a travel card from waterloo and car-parking is free. You
also get a TV, coffee stuff, and a sofa...

I always go with the travellodge when I can at £26, and I've stayed a
few times recently at the one near London Liverpool Street for that
price. There was simply nothing available that night- and I thought it
would be interesting to try Easyhotel.

I agree that travellodge is a better option if you get the £26 deal.

Why do you stay in London hotels? I thought you lived there! :)

--
David Horne-
http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org

Jim Ley February 14th, 2006 12:17 PM

Paying to get on first

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:48:00 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Why do you stay in London hotels? I thought you lived there! :)

I've been homeless for a few months now, begging sofas off people and
the occasional (well more than occasional actually) nights in London
hotels or on peoples sofa.

Jim.

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of bess February 14th, 2006 12:35 PM

Paying to get on first

Jim Ley wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:48:00 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Why do you stay in London hotels? I thought you lived there! :)

I've been homeless for a few months now, begging sofas off people and
the occasional (well more than occasional actually) nights in London
hotels or on peoples sofa.

Ouch- hope that situation sorts itself out then!

--
David Horne-
http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org

Jim Ley February 14th, 2006 12:41 PM

Paying to get on first

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:35:55 +0000,

Jim Ley wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:48:00 +0000,

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Why do you stay in London hotels? I thought you lived there! :)

I've been homeless for a few months now, begging sofas off people and
the occasional (well more than occasional actually) nights in London
hotels or on peoples sofa.

Ouch- hope that situation sorts itself out then!

ouch? It's not a bad thing... rent is expensive.

OSL,NCE,LGA,KIN,DCA in the next 6 weeks.

Jim.

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of bess February 14th, 2006 12:49 PM

Paying to get on first

Jim Ley wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:48:00 +0000,

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Why do you stay in London hotels? I thought you lived there! :)

I've been homeless for a few months now, begging sofas off people and
the occasional (well more than occasional actually) nights in London
hotels or on peoples sofa.

Ouch- hope that situation sorts itself out then!

ouch? It's not a bad thing...

It would be a very bad thing for me, and I've never found living in
hotels for any extended period of time fun!

--
David Horne-
http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org

Jim Ley February 14th, 2006 12:56 PM

Paying to get on first

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:54:03 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:17:58 GMT, (Jim Ley) wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:48:00 +0000,

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Why do you stay in London hotels? I thought you lived there! :)

I've been homeless for a few months now, begging sofas off people and
the occasional (well more than occasional actually) nights in London
hotels or on peoples sofa.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Hope things sort themselves out soon.

Cheers, but it's a through choice homelessness, so it's not a bad
thing, Oe of the offers I've had is for Leiden...

Jim.