TravelBanter

-   Caribbean (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Negril, Jamaica (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=57542)

SVW January 24th, 2005 06:29 PM

Negril, Jamaica

I hope someone can offer suggestions as to where to stay in Negril. My
girlfriend and I are around 30 years old and have a week's vacation in
early February. We know MoBay well and have consdered Ocho Rios, but I
always wanted to stay in Negril. There are no specials available right
now, but would it be a good idea to just take air only (from Canada)
and find somewhere (not too expensive) when we arrived? I know there
are lots of small hotels that don't advertise, and we want to be right
on the beach. Suggestions, anyone? Thanks!

Rhythmwize January 24th, 2005 11:04 PM

In article , SVW says...

I hope someone can offer suggestions as to where to stay in Negril.

IMO, the best place to stay in Negril is the Kuyaba...My second choice
would be Idle Awhile. For the Kuyaba, get a deluxe upper floor room if
possible, #7 thru #10...rate is like $90US per night...right on the beach,
excellent restaurant, good location, very nice staff, good security, you
can not go wrong with this place...Ive stayed all over Jamaica and the
Caribbean and this is one of my top three favorite places to stay.
Check their website: http://www.kuyaba.com

Your biggest problem maybe be getting a reservation, call now and don't use
email as they are slow responding.

For more info on Negril, check the message board at negril.com

If you every go to Ocho Rios, try the Hibiscus Lodge.

john

SVW January 25th, 2005 01:47 AM

In article , SVW says...

For more info on Negril, check the message board at negril.com

If you every go to Ocho Rios, try the Hibiscus Lodge.

john

Many thanks John. If we go to either of these places, we will post a
report.

Dave January 25th, 2005 02:11 AM

A romantic and wonderful spot that I have been going to for quite a
while (many years) is Firefly, which is in the middle of the 7 mile
beach. Far enough from the hot night spots that you can relax at night
and close enough that you can walk to them easily. It has many options
for housing, and I prefer the "chalet", which is separate, but has
everything that I could want. There are rustic and very cheap cabins,
and a great house that has some rather luxurious rooms, some with
balconies overlooking the ocean. Hot tub for evenings under the stars,
a good bar, and a staff that is extraordinary.

You can check them out at www.jamaicalink.com and see what the place is
really like. The owner has a section outlining what the good and bad
points to each housing unit are. Rare in the type of business they are
in. Mention that Dave from Vermont sent you, and you'll probably get
10% off the price listed, which can be very reasonable.

Take a look. I was sold the first time I went there.

And I have no interest in the place, other than to go there every year
and enjoy the romantic ambience that Firefly affords. It is a very
small property, and well maintained.

Dave

SVW wrote in
:

I hope someone can offer suggestions as to where to stay in Negril. My
girlfriend and I are around 30 years old and have a week's vacation in
early February. We know MoBay well and have consdered Ocho Rios, but I
always wanted to stay in Negril. There are no specials available right
now, but would it be a good idea to just take air only (from Canada)
and find somewhere (not too expensive) when we arrived? I know there
are lots of small hotels that don't advertise, and we want to be right
on the beach. Suggestions, anyone? Thanks!

SVW January 25th, 2005 08:54 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:11:06 -0600, Dave wrote:

[...]

Sounds wonderful, Dave. I will keep Firefly in mind.
SVW wrote in
:

I hope someone can offer suggestions as to where to stay in Negril. My
girlfriend and I are around 30 years old and have a week's vacation in
early February. We know MoBay well and have consdered Ocho Rios, but I
always wanted to stay in Negril. There are no specials available right
now, but would it be a good idea to just take air only (from Canada)
and find somewhere (not too expensive) when we arrived? I know there
are lots of small hotels that don't advertise, and we want to be right
on the beach. Suggestions, anyone? Thanks!

rentjamaica January 27th, 2005 03:45 AM

Hi,

Firefly is a good option, Nicola will take good care of you, there is
also Nirvana and there is also Green Leaf Cabins for low budget
travelers. There are also many other cottages and private villas
available.

--
rentjamaica
rentjamaica's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=548

rentjamaica January 27th, 2005 03:52 AM

Oh one more place Beach House Villas really great place.

--
rentjamaica
rentjamaica's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=548
View this thread: http://travelforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63821
This post was submitted via http://www.TravelForums.org

BARBARA WILLIAMS January 31st, 2005 02:47 PM

Go to Negril.com and you can get information about all the places in town.
You first need to decide if you want to stay on the beach or on the cliffs.
Each has its advantages. Generally speaking, the beach is much more busy
and more recently built up and the cliffs is an older and more private
section. If you like snorkeling, the cliffs is the way to go, if you like
nightlife, the beach. In reality it's only a 100 to 200 J taxi ride to one
place from the other. A good and reasonably priced place on the beach is
the Bar-B-Barn and they have one of the very best restaurants in Negril
Beachcomber Club is really nice as well and also well located (you don't
want to be too far out of town on the beach). Also try hanging out at
Selina's Coffeebar for some real Jamaica vibe, the best Blue Mt. coffee and
great food. Be sure you check out a trip to Benji's Paradise for a Real
Jamaica Experience!

Definitely go to Negril over Mobay or Ochi... if you want to consider other
parts of Jamaica I'd look at Orocabessa, Port Antonio or Treasure Beach
(which is close to Negril and like Negril was 25 years ago but it got nailed
by the hurricane this past fall.

You can write me at if you have any questions about what I
wrote ...