TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Time to stop flying? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=135409)

Gerald Oliver Swift April 7th, 2008 07:47 PM

Time to stop flying?

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

Gerry

Spider Pig April 7th, 2008 07:53 PM

Time to stop flying?

On 7 Apr, 20:47, "Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote:

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

Gerry

I guess that planes won't crash now due to mobile phone
intereference....

Roland Perry[_1_] April 7th, 2008 08:42 PM

Time to stop flying?

In message
, at
11:53:30 on Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Spider Pig
remarked:

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

Gerry

I guess that planes won't crash now due to mobile phone
intereference....

Apparently my plane was recently in danger of crashing as it taxied
across the apron at Schiphol. Well, they announced we shouldn't turn our
phones on yet because of the interference they might cause...
--
Roland Perry

John Kulp April 7th, 2008 09:21 PM

Time to stop flying?

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:53:30 -0700 (PDT), Spider Pig
wrote:

On 7 Apr, 20:47, "Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote:

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

Gerry

I guess that planes won't crash now due to mobile phone
intereference....

That's a risk when the other passengers riot trying to throttle the
morons using them on planes.

Mxsmanic April 7th, 2008 09:40 PM

Time to stop flying?

Spider Pig writes:

I guess that planes won't crash now due to mobile phone
intereference....

Interference was never as much of an issue as the effects on the network.
That's why the FAA never prohibited cell phone use aboard aircraft, but the
FCC did.

JohnT[_3_] April 7th, 2008 10:50 PM

Time to stop flying?

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Spider Pig writes:

I guess that planes won't crash now due to mobile phone
intereference....

Interference was never as much of an issue as the effects on the network.
That's why the FAA never prohibited cell phone use aboard aircraft, but
the
FCC did.

In the UK/Europe?
--

JohnT

David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_] April 7th, 2008 10:52 PM

Time to stop flying?

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:47:56 +0100, "Gerald Oliver Swift"

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

I can imagine it won't be long before a phone user has his phone inserted into
him/her.

It won't be cheap. Most transatlantic flights I've been on recently have
air phones in economy, and I can't say I've noticed people using them
much.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the

John Kulp April 7th, 2008 11:12 PM

Time to stop flying?

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:52:55 +0100, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:47:56 +0100, "Gerald Oliver Swift"

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

I can imagine it won't be long before a phone user has his phone inserted into
him/her.

It won't be cheap. Most transatlantic flights I've been on recently have
air phones in economy, and I can't say I've noticed people using them
much.

They never used them much in the US domestically either, which is why
Continental pulled them all out.

irwell April 8th, 2008 12:03 AM

Time to stop flying?

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:12:16 GMT, (John Kulp)
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:52:55 +0100,
(David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:47:56 +0100, "Gerald Oliver Swift"

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

I can imagine it won't be long before a phone user has his phone inserted into
him/her.

It won't be cheap. Most transatlantic flights I've been on recently have
air phones in economy, and I can't say I've noticed people using them
much.

They never used them much in the US domestically either, which is why
Continental pulled them all out.

I used them once when we had to let our hosts in L.A. know
we were delayed. About $10 for a one minute call in 1993.

Jeff Hacker[_1_] April 8th, 2008 01:48 AM

Time to stop flying?

"Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote in message

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

Gerry

I think it is time to buy stock in the Bose company (which makes those great
noise canceling headphones).

Jeff