TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Year 1910 (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=171212)

Jean O'Boyle[_3_] January 2nd, 2011 11:20 PM

The Year 1910

Happy New Year!!! So how was it in Europe in 1910?

I know this will boggle your mind...it did mine! Even though I was born much
later, it is amazing!

The year is 1910 in the USA One hundred years ago. What a difference a
century makes!
Here are some statistics for the Year 1910:

The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
Fuel for the 1910 Ford Model Car was sold in drug stores only.
Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower !
The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour.
The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,
A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per
year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME ..
Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they
attended so-called medical schools, many of which Were condemned in the
press AND the government as 'substandard.'
Sugar cost four cents a pound.
Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks
for shampoo.
Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their
country for any reason.
The Five leading causes of death we
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke
The American flag had 45 stars ...
The population of Las Vegas , Nevada , was only 30!!!!
Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.
There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and
Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school..
Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or
domestic help ...
There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !
I am now going to forward this to someone else without typing it myself.
From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD - all in a matter
of seconds!
Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

IT STAGGERS THE MIND

Runge 126 January 2nd, 2011 11:56 PM

The Year 1910

Another lost american who thinks Europe is between Tennesse and Wisconsin ?

"Jean O'Boyle" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

[...]

From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD - all in a matter
of seconds!
Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

IT STAGGERS THE MIND

Jean O'Boyle[_3_] January 3rd, 2011 12:58 AM

The Year 1910

"Runge 126" wrote in message
r...
Another lost american who thinks Europe is between Tennesse and Wisconsin
?

[...]

From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD - all in a matter
of seconds!
Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

IT STAGGERS THE MIND

Bah Humbug, Scrooge!...Not lost at all...I'm perfectly aware of your
geographical location....why can't you come up with how things were in
Europe or your particular country in 1910? Too much of a challenge? You
just might find it interesting.

--Jean

Runge 126 January 3rd, 2011 02:06 AM

The Year 1910

Nope I'm not into history that's why I'm on a travel group.
....and the US are not my cup of tea either, that's why I'm on a Europe
travel group.
Sorry.

"Jean O'Boyle" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

"Runge 126" wrote in message
r...
[...]

From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD - all in a matter
of seconds!
Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

IT STAGGERS THE MIND

Bah Humbug, Scrooge!...Not lost at all...I'm perfectly aware of your
geographical location....why can't you come up with how things were in
Europe or your particular country in 1910? Too much of a challenge? You
just might find it interesting.

--Jean

Jean O'Boyle[_3_] January 3rd, 2011 02:15 AM

The Year 1910

"Runge 126" wrote in message
r...
Nope I'm not into history that's why I'm on a travel group.
...and the US are not my cup of tea either, that's why I'm on a Europe
travel group.
Sorry

OK! No apology needed! ;-)

--Jean

terrable January 3rd, 2011 02:31 AM

The Year 1910

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
Happy New Year!!! So how was it in Europe in 1910?

I know this will boggle your mind...it did mine! Even though I was born
much later, it is amazing!

The year is 1910 in the USA One hundred years ago. What a difference a
century makes!

1910 was 101 years ago.

None of it is amazing. It is just the way it was.

Jean O'Boyle[_3_] January 3rd, 2011 03:52 AM

The Year 1910

"terrable" wrote in message

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
Happy New Year!!! So how was it in Europe in 1910?

I know this will boggle your mind...it did mine! Even though I was born
much later, it is amazing!

The year is 1910 in the USA One hundred years ago. What a difference a
century makes!

1910 was 101 years ago.

None of it is amazing. It is just the way it was.

Depends how you look at it...I think the progress and changes in that life
span are amazing...I would not mind the prices of things that year!
--Jean

Surreyman[_3_] January 3rd, 2011 11:29 AM

The Year 1910

On Jan 3, 3:52*am, "Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
"terrable" wrote in message

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
Happy New Year!!! So how was it in Europe in 1910?

I know this will boggle your mind...it did mine! Even though I was born
much later, it is amazing!

The year is 1910 in the USA * One hundred years ago. What a difference a
century makes!

1910 was 101 years ago.

None of it is amazing. It is just the way it was.

Depends how you look at it...I think the progress and changes in that life
span are amazing...I would not mind the prices of things that year!
--Jean

Yep - that's my parents' generation.
The differences they saw from childhood to old age were mind boggling.
Far more than ours.

Tom P[_6_] January 3rd, 2011 01:22 PM

The Year 1910

On 01/03/2011 12:20 AM, Jean O'Boyle wrote:
[...]

From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD - all in a matter
of seconds!
Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

IT STAGGERS THE MIND

Europe has changed totally and utterly since 1910. In 1910 most of
Europe was controlled by four major empires - the Ottoman Empire, the
Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Prussian Empire and the Russian Empire.
With the exception of France and Switzerland most countries were
monarchies owing allegiance to one or other of the emperors. Germany was
split into four kingdoms and dozens of dukedoms. Some kingdoms were
absurdly minute - the smallest was the Kingdom of Tavolara with an
estimated population of 55.
Conversely, many modern European countries simply did not exist in
1910. Poland was divided into provinces controlled by the Prussian and
Russian empires.
All of this was swept away in the First World War. Today all that
remains of that time are the statues of various obscure monarchs in
cities around Europe, and their portraits in stamp collections.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) January 3rd, 2011 06:55 PM

The Year 1910

terrable wrote:
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
Happy New Year!!! So how was it in Europe in 1910?

I know this will boggle your mind...it did mine! Even though I was born
much later, it is amazing!

The year is 1910 in the USA One hundred years ago. What a difference a
century makes!

1910 was 101 years ago.

None of it is amazing. It is just the way it was.

Never mind one hundred (or one hundred and one) years ago - just the
changes within the last TWENTY are somewhat mind-boggling! How many of
us even had cell-phones in 1981, let alone internet access via "smart
phone"? (Or even internet access at all?)