TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Spaniard in fatal fall off cruise ship gangplank in Italy (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=167849)

RsH July 24th, 2010 09:10 PM

Spaniard in fatal fall off cruise ship gangplank in Italy

Spaniard in fatal fall off cruise ship gangplank in Italy

A Spanish woman Saturday fell to her death off the gangplank of a
cruise ship moored in Genoa, northwestern Italy, news reports said.

The 62-year-old from Barcelona was boarding the ship with her husband
and friends when the top step of the gangplank gave way, the reports
said.

Identified as Maria Mercedes Bonastre, she was killed immediately when
she fell into the sea and her head struck the quay, the ANSA news
agency reported.

Sixty-year-old Fausto del Charro, also from Barcelona, also fell from
the gangplank and hit the quay but is out of danger, suffering only
some bruises, the reports said.

"We were just about to step onto the ship when my husband literally
disappeared in front of me, falling into the void," ANSA quoted Del
Charro's wife as telling investigators.

The Splendida, operated by MSC Crociere, was about to set sail for a
Mediterranean holiday cruise, ANSA said.

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/span...aly_85611.html