TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Time to stop flying? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=135552)

Jack Campin - bogus address April 9th, 2008 11:54 AM

Time to stop flying?

[taking mobile phone pictures through plane windows]
saying the pic through a window wont be a
great shot and phones take poor quality pics.

And I disagree on both counts.

taking photos through glass or plastic windows (especially distorted,
milky, scratched glass or plastic) degrades quality and blocks off the
ability to get an interesting foreground (especially when the window
is in motion).
that camera phones are poor quality isnt worth arguning about.

It would be nice if planes had a few decent-quality cameras mounted
under the fuselage which the passengers could monitor in flight and
selectively download pictures from. I wonder what they'd have to
charge to make it pay?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====

Mike.....[_4_] April 9th, 2008 11:57 AM

Time to stop flying?

Following up to Jack Campin - bogus address

taking photos through glass or plastic windows (especially distorted,
milky, scratched glass or plastic) degrades quality and blocks off the
ability to get an interesting foreground (especially when the window
is in motion).
that camera phones are poor quality isnt worth arguning about.

It would be nice if planes had a few decent-quality cameras mounted
under the fuselage which the passengers could monitor in flight and
selectively download pictures from. I wonder what they'd have to
charge to make it pay?

i'd like to be able to see the approach from an underplane camera!
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email

Marty Shapiro April 9th, 2008 12:17 PM

Time to stop flying?

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote in
:

[taking mobile phone pictures through plane windows]
saying the pic through a window wont be a
great shot and phones take poor quality pics.
And I disagree on both counts.

taking photos through glass or plastic windows (especially distorted,
milky, scratched glass or plastic) degrades quality and blocks off
the ability to get an interesting foreground (especially when the
window is in motion).
that camera phones are poor quality isnt worth arguning about.

It would be nice if planes had a few decent-quality cameras mounted
under the fuselage which the passengers could monitor in flight and
selectively download pictures from. I wonder what they'd have to
charge to make it pay?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k ===
http://www.campin.me.uk ==== Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange
EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739 557 CD-ROMs and free stuff:
Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts

They used to. American had one on their D10 looking over the pilot's
right shoulder. After the crash in Chicago, they removed them as the law
suits demanded extra compensation due to the pain and suffering of the
passengers seeing their impending death.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)

William Black April 9th, 2008 02:00 PM

Time to stop flying?

"Mike....." wrote in message

i'd like to be able to see the approach from an underplane camera!

Fly Emirates then.

They leave the nose and 'look down' cameras on throughout the whole flight.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

John Kulp April 9th, 2008 03:00 PM

Time to stop flying?

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:57:45 +0100, "Mike....."
wrote:

Following up to Jack Campin - bogus address

taking photos through glass or plastic windows (especially distorted,
milky, scratched glass or plastic) degrades quality and blocks off the
ability to get an interesting foreground (especially when the window
is in motion).
that camera phones are poor quality isnt worth arguning about.

It would be nice if planes had a few decent-quality cameras mounted
under the fuselage which the passengers could monitor in flight and
selectively download pictures from. I wonder what they'd have to
charge to make it pay?

i'd like to be able to see the approach from an underplane camera!

Cathay Pacific used to have those. I don't know if they still do or
not.

z0ned0ut[_2_] April 9th, 2008 06:20 PM

Time to stop flying?

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:00:27 +0100 'William Black'
wrote this on rec.travel.air:

"Mike....." wrote in message
.. .

i'd like to be able to see the approach from an underplane camera!

Fly Emirates then.

They leave the nose and 'look down' cameras on throughout the whole flight.

Yes I noticed that on an Emirates flight from Dubai to Bangkok.

Blake S April 9th, 2008 07:32 PM

Time to stop flying?

"z0ned0ut" wrote in message
7.0.0.1...

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:00:27 +0100 'William Black'
wrote this on rec.travel.air:

"Mike....." wrote in message
. ..

i'd like to be able to see the approach from an underplane camera!

Fly Emirates then.

They leave the nose and 'look down' cameras on throughout the whole
flight.

Yes I noticed that on an Emirates flight from Dubai to Bangkok.

ANA has them too. At least on the 767 that I flew HKG-NRT.

grusl[_3_] April 9th, 2008 07:43 PM

Time to stop flying?

"William Black" wrote in message

"Mike....." wrote in message

i'd like to be able to see the approach from an underplane camera!

Fly Emirates then.

They leave the nose and 'look down' cameras on throughout the whole
flight.

Mostly it's like a cameraphone view, though

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Mxsmanic April 10th, 2008 08:45 PM

Time to stop flying?

Mike..... writes:

i'd like to be able to see the approach from an underplane camera!

The A380 has cameras mounted outside the aircraft.

z0ned0ut[_2_] April 10th, 2008 10:20 PM

Time to stop flying?

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:45:00 +0200 'Mxsmanic'
wrote this on rec.travel.air:

Mike..... writes:

i'd like to be able to see the approach from an underplane camera!

The A380 has cameras mounted outside the aircraft.

Are you sure they're not wing mirrors for the pilot?