TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Passengers to be charged for extra legroom (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=146124)

Mel Amine November 8th, 2008 08:23 AM

Passengers to be charged for extra legroom

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/34...a-legroom.html

Passengers to be charged for extra legroom
Tall airline passengers who ask for extra legroom when flying in
economy class will be charged £40 for the privilege.

By Peter Allen
Last Updated: 7:56AM GMT 08 Nov 2008

Air France has become the first airline to introduce a supplement for
the seats next to emergency exits or at the front of rows.

These are the ones without other seats immediately in front, meaning
long legs can be stretched out.

Until now, experienced passengers have often been able to reserve the
seats through nothing more than a polite request at check in.

Now, however, they will be sold, with surcharges payable online or in
phone bookings.

"It will be a small charge to have to pay for extra legroom," said an
Air France spokesman, adding that the £40 will first be applied to
long-haul flights.

Frequent fliers with the company's Flying Blue card will still get the
seats at standard price once they reach the firm's Gold or Platinum
status, the spokesman added.

The charge has already been levied on flights from France to Canada
and the United States, and will now be expanded to the rest of the
long-haul network.

The idea is likely to be copied by many other airlines, as their
industry struggles in the harsh economic climate.

David[_16_] November 8th, 2008 12:39 PM

"Mel Amine" wrote in message
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/34...a-legroom.html

Passengers to be charged for extra legroom
Tall airline passengers who ask for extra legroom when flying in
economy class will be charged £40 for the privilege.

By Peter Allen
Last Updated: 7:56AM GMT 08 Nov 2008

Air France has become the first airline to introduce a supplement for
the seats next to emergency exits or at the front of rows.

Do not understand this, FIRST ?
The airlines I use for a long time been charging extra for the extra leg
room seats in these positions.

I was sat next to one last month in an ordinary seat, it was empty but I was
informed to use it I would have to pay by the cabin crew.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Mel Amine November 8th, 2008 01:43 PM

On 8 Nov, 13:39, "David" wrote:
"Mel Amine" wrote in message

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/34...-be-charged-fo...

Passengers to be charged for extra legroom
Tall airline passengers who ask for extra legroom when flying in
economy class will be charged £40 for the privilege.

By Peter Allen
Last Updated: 7:56AM GMT 08 Nov 2008

Air France has become the first airline to introduce a supplement for
the seats next to emergency exits or at the front of rows.

Do not understand this, FIRST ?
The airlines I use for a long time been charging extra for the extra leg
room seats in these positions.

I was sat next to one last month in an ordinary seat, it was empty but I was
informed to use it I would have to pay by the cabin crew.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

.....if helps if you've shaved them first.....;-)

Jeff Hacker[_1_] November 8th, 2008 10:45 PM

"Mel Amine" wrote in message
[...]

They aren't the first. Many U.S. airlines have been doing this for some
time. Northwest charges as much as $50 USD (25UKL; 500 Yen) for such seats
between the U.S. and Japan, a little less between the U.S. and Europe. As
do United, US Airways, and several others.

Trust No One® November 9th, 2008 07:29 AM

Jeff Hacker wrote:

They aren't the first. Many U.S. airlines have been doing this for
some time. Northwest charges as much as $50 USD (25UKL; 500 Yen) for
such seats between the U.S. and Japan, a little less between the U.S.
and Europe. As do United, US Airways, and several others.

I think it is a great idea.

At the moment such seats get snapped up very quickly, and getting one is
luck of the draw.

Hopefully introducing a charge will mean that tall folk will perhaps have a
_slightly_ better chance of getting these seats, providing they are willing
to pay for them.

--
Peter X-Files fan

grusl[_4_] November 9th, 2008 08:11 AM

"Trust No One®" wrote in message
Jeff Hacker wrote:

They aren't the first. Many U.S. airlines have been doing this for
some time. Northwest charges as much as $50 USD (25UKL; 500 Yen) for
such seats between the U.S. and Japan, a little less between the U.S.
and Europe. As do United, US Airways, and several others.

I think it is a great idea.

At the moment such seats get snapped up very quickly, and getting one is
luck of the draw.

Hopefully introducing a charge will mean that tall folk will perhaps have
a _slightly_ better chance of getting these seats, providing they are
willing to pay for them.

Maybe short people will buy them and offer to sell them to tall folks for a
profit.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Alfred Molon[_6_] November 9th, 2008 09:29 AM

Passengers to be charged for extra legroom

Seems fair. They should also offer wider seats at a surcharge for
overweight people.
--

Alfred Molon

Tom P[_5_] November 9th, 2008 11:02 AM

David wrote:

"Mel Amine" wrote in message

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/34...a-legroom.html

Passengers to be charged for extra legroom
Tall airline passengers who ask for extra legroom when flying in
economy class will be charged £40 for the privilege.

By Peter Allen
Last Updated: 7:56AM GMT 08 Nov 2008

Air France has become the first airline to introduce a supplement for
the seats next to emergency exits or at the front of rows.

Do not understand this, FIRST ?

Daily Telegraph readers know less, and DT journalists know even less.

The airlines I use for a long time been charging extra for the extra leg
room seats in these positions.

I was sat next to one last month in an ordinary seat, it was empty but I
was informed to use it I would have to pay by the cabin crew.

I'm pretty sure that AirBerlin has been offering this for at least a
year now on its long distance flights. Right now the only reference I
can find to it on their webpage is that Silver and Goldcard holders get
reduced rates for booking XL seats.

Stephen Chaplin November 12th, 2008 04:47 PM

Passengers to be charged for extra legroom

Virgin have done it for ages and on each occasion i've told them there's
no way i'm paying for it and they've ended up giving it to me for
nothing - this is without any arguing/pleading either

Do not understand this, FIRST ?
The airlines I use for a long time been charging extra for the extra leg
room seats in these positions.

I was sat next to one last month in an ordinary seat, it was empty but I
was informed to use it I would have to pay by the cabin crew.

MC November 14th, 2008 08:05 PM

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Seems fair. They should also offer wider seats at a surcharge for
overweight people.
--

They do ...premium economy, business or first.

Mc