TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continental Airlines Flight Attendant (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=101385)

Nellie November 29th, 2006 01:16 AM

Continental Airlines Flight Attendant

I've been offered a job as a fight attendant with Continental Airlines.
Any comments about the pros and or cons of the company or flight
attendant position? I know little about working in the airline
business. Thanks.

Newby November 29th, 2006 02:27 AM

Continental Airlines Flight Attendant

"Nellie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been offered a job as a fight attendant with Continental Airlines.
Any comments about the pros and or cons of the company or flight
attendant position? I know little about working in the airline
business. Thanks.

Seems like you should have been asking those questions before applying for a
job.

Mike Hunt November 29th, 2006 02:42 AM

Continental Airlines Flight Attendant

Newby wrote:
"Nellie" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've been offered a job as a fight attendant with Continental Airlines.
Any comments about the pros and or cons of the company or flight
attendant position? I know little about working in the airline
business. Thanks.

Seems like you should have been asking those questions before applying for a
job.

She's the sharpest knife in the drawer, eh :)

She should work with the DOD.
We have plenty of people that she can be smarter than

Randy Hudson November 29th, 2006 06:37 AM

Continental Airlines Flight Attendant

In article .com,
Nellie wrote:

Wow, sorry that I wasn't specific enough! You guys are harsh!

Yes, they are. Probably not as harsh as some of your customers will be if
you take the job, but that doesn't excuse the rudeness of either.

I just wanted an insider's opinion, that's all!

Airline employees have been fired for posting information their employers
felt was not sufficiently positive, so you are unlikely to hear negative
comments by the people who would know best.

I'm a frequent customer of Continental, and the flight attendants don't seem
particularly unhappy with their jobs; from the outside, I'd judge their job
satisfaction as higher than Northwest or America West attendants, but lower
than Southwest's. I haven't flown other airlines enough to have a valid
opinion.

--
Randy Hudson

Ajanta November 29th, 2006 07:22 AM

Nellie wrote:

: I've been offered a job as a fight attendant with Continental Airlines.
: Any comments about the pros and or cons of the company or flight
: attendant position? I know little about working in the airline
: business. Thanks.

Hi Nellie, why not hang out at the airports a little and try to talk to
a few randomly chosen CO flight attendants? Approach the "Union" for
their take? Good luck.

David[_3_] November 29th, 2006 01:44 PM

Continental Airlines Flight Attendant

Hello Nellie,

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 03:51:09 UTC, "Nellie" wrote:

Wow, sorry that I wasn't specific enough! You guys are harsh! Okay so
to spell things out in the most elementary way: I applied for the
position, interviewed (and yes I asked questions and had them
answered), and now I have been offered a position. I just wanted an
insider's opinion, that's all! Maybe I was asking a bit too much for a
bit of advice. Sorry for the confusion. Peace, airline folks. No
need for hostility or sarcasm, really. I just thought you all could
tell me some stuff I didn't learn in the interview. So yeah thanks
again.

I didn't chime in the first round, but my advice would be pretty much
the same. Talk to the people inside the company and the people you'd
be working with. Perhaps your potential employers could be helpful
there. I'd suggest an improptu interview with your potential peers
at the local airort. Security being what it is you might want to
call ahead or start with the folks at the ticket counter. Find
some flight attendants and perhaps other crew members to talk with.

Good luck with your career,

David

Reef Fish[_4_] November 29th, 2006 05:51 PM

Mike Hunt wrote:
Jim Davis wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
Jim Davis wrote:
Newby wrote:

Seems like you should have been asking those questions before applying for a
job.

She said she was *offered* the job. She didn't say she applied for it.

I wasn't aware that Continental went around randomly offering people
jobs.

A bit of the real world here. You can't possibly beleive that *all*
jobs are procured through the "proper" employment channels of any
company. In some cases, it only takes a friend or relitive.

Oh, OK. A relative got her a job offer, and instead of asking the
relative these questions, she asked people she doesn't know

Amazing thread, even for rec.travel.air! :-)

Actually, she was on a casting couch by a CO big wig. She
impressed the BW immensely, but the BW couldn't offer a
job because of the Union; so he had to launder the job offer
through some union member, and she figureed the best way
to ask her question is to a bunch of complete strangers most
of whom are whacos so that they would not ask her how she
got the job offer without applying or how she danced through
the hoops of the union. Howzdat?

Case closed.

-- Reef Fish.

Jeff Hacker November 29th, 2006 09:33 PM

Continental Airlines Flight Attendant

"Nellie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been offered a job as a fight attendant with Continental Airlines.
Any comments about the pros and or cons of the company or flight
attendant position? I know little about working in the airline
business. Thanks.

The airline business isn't what it used to be, but of the U.S. domestic
carriers, Continental is arguably the best to work for.

DevilsPGD November 29th, 2006 10:33 PM

Continental Airlines Flight Attendant

In message . com
"Tchiowa" wrote:

I wasn't aware that Continental went around randomly offering people
jobs.

If she was offerred a job, she applied for it.

Continental might not, but in many areas this is typical.

My current job was offered basically unsolicited, I didn't even give
them a resume until well after two years of employment (and then only
for immigration purposes, they were considering offering me relocation)

My mom is a consultant in a completely different industry and hasn't
interviewed for or applied for a job in over 30 years, and she's worked
for about 20-25 companies over the years on projects lasting anywhere
from 2 months to several years (she only does part time at each
position, usually)

It all depends on your skill level. I don't think flight attendants
would have that specific a set of skills going in though, so I'd agree
it's unlikely Continental would offer a position randomly.

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with interviewing for a job,
then refusing the offer when the offer becomes available.

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

Reef Fish[_4_] November 30th, 2006 12:41 PM

Jim Davis vs the OLD PRO Mike Hunt in rec.travel.air

Jim Davis wrote:
Mike Hunt wrote:
Jim Davis wrote:

Open your eyes. He asked the exact same question that you did,

Would this mean I responded to one post before reading all of the
followup posts thread? How do you read threads, in reverse order?

I read them in order time & date. You asked the same question that was
posted about 2 hours before.

Jim, you are what's known in the internet as a "Clueless Newbie"!

While what you said about Mike Hunt's post and yours are correct,
you (Jim Davis) who has a LIVE TIME history of only
137 threads in group:rec.travel.air

is flaming MIke Hunt who could have had that many threads in
USENET newsgroups in 2 HOURS. :-)

you were posting from Google in the thread, which is nicely
threaded for YOU, in the order time & date, by Google!

Mike Hunt, who posts 1000 times more frequently than you, in
newsgroups in general, and in rec.travel.air in particular, posts
and reads and posts (currently) from his ISP which is comcast,

OrgName: Comcast Cable Communications Inc.
Address: 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd ,Mt Laurel, NJ

through his email, via a shield of posting ID and feeds

Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost

so that neither newbies like you nor old pros like Nomen Nesco

can touch him (by reporting abuse, real or unreal) for his posts
by complaint to Google or his posting ISP comcast!

You can find Nomen Nesco postmaster@localhost
in 84 Google threads too, whie Mike Hunt had only 39 :-))

84 for author:Nomen Nesco postmaster@localhost
39 for author: Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost

Note Both Nemen and Mike are postmasters at "localhost?

But that's only because Mike Hunt is the NEW posting Name
for the MASTER, who had posted in rec.travel.air with the
posting name of mrtravel, from protegy.net, and OTHER lesser
known aliases of his in rec.travel.air, prior to his current name.

For mrtravel (now Mike Hunt), you can find

1,880 threads from Jan 1, 2006 to Nov 30, 2006
for group:rec.travel.air author:mrtravel

6,730 threads for group:rec.travel.air author:mrtravel

13,300 threads for author:mrtravel

in all newsgroups, and that's ONLY for "mrtravel".

With that kind of READING and POSTING activities
by Mike Hunt, you expect him NOT to

Jim Davis You asked the same question that was
Jim Davis posted about 2 hours before.

Within 2 hours, Mike Hunt could have read and posted
HUNDREDS of posts in dozens of newsgroups besides
rec.travel.air!

You FOOL, Jim Davis!

Besides, this is a frivolous thread that only a Clueless
Newbie FOOL like you would expect anyone else to
pay close attention to who posted what 2 hours before.

LOL. ROTFLMAO at you,

for Mike Hunt, and everyone else who is NOT a clueless
newbie in the rec.travel.air newsgroup or the internet.

-- Reef Fish Bob.