TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26129)

May 1st, 2004 01:59 AM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

My folks are thinking of taking a Viking cruise (European river cruise on
the Danube) this summer. Can anyone shed some light, hopefully based on
personal experience, on these cruises?

Thanks in advance,
Rusty

RTCReferee May 1st, 2004 03:19 AM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

wrote;

My folks are thinking of taking a Viking cruise (European river cruise on
the Danube) this summer. Can anyone shed some light, hopefully based on
personal experience, on these cruises?

I haven't any personal experience, but recently I mentioned a very fit and
active woman in her 70's who did not enjoy her big-ship cruise on the Crystal
Harmony to Alaska. She took a river cruise on the Danube last year (through
her alma mater) and she absolutely loved it. I am sure it was not with
Uniworld, but am uncertain whether Viking River Cruises was the company.

One advantage of the river cruises is that you get to experience the nightlife
of the towns you visit. Plus, she enjoys walking a lot and liked stepping off
the boat and walking right into town. Next time she goes on the water it will
likely be on a barge in France, since she wants to bicycle along the river
while the barge continues on its journey.

It's not easy trying to keep up with her.

RTCReferee May 1st, 2004 03:36 AM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

Although there are barges on some French rivers, the slower barges do the
canals, if I'm not mistaken, and that is what she mentioned she'd like to do.

Howie May 1st, 2004 03:39 AM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

RTCReferee wrote:

wrote;

[...]

I bet it's not!

Howie - sitting out this poker hand.

Leasa Hachey May 1st, 2004 04:02 AM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

There's a few detailed trip reports on my site of some neat river cruises,
complete with photos.

One is a Russian river cruise on the MS Vladimir Mayakovski which is run by
Value World Tours http://www.mytripreport.com/display.php?reportid=175

Another is a riverboat trip down the Rhone in France on the Cezanne
http://www.mytripreport.com/display.php?reportid=187

There are also a couple of reports for barge cruises in Burgundy, France and
in Holland, which are quite interesting and can be found on this page:
http://www.mytripreport.com/search.p...theme=cruising

Hope this may help you.

Leasa
www.MyTripReport.com
Share your trip. Plan your trip. Dream your trip.

wrote in message ...
My folks are thinking of taking a Viking cruise (European river cruise on
the Danube) this summer. Can anyone shed some light, hopefully based on
personal experience, on these cruises?

Thanks in advance,
Rusty

Mark O. Polo May 1st, 2004 04:43 AM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

Hi Rusty,

I voyaged on the Viking Spirit from Amsterdam to Vienna summer before
last and can provide an unconditional recommendation as it was enjoyable
from start to finish. If you would like details then please contact me
directly.

Aloha

jtc May 1st, 2004 03:14 PM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

did you do a review? I'd love to read it

--

all incoming and outgoing mail scanned with Norton AntiVirus
protection
"Mark O. Polo" wrote in message
Hi Rusty,

I voyaged on the Viking Spirit from Amsterdam to Vienna

summer before
last and can provide an unconditional recommendation as it

was enjoyable
from start to finish. If you would like details then

please contact me
directly.

Aloha

Mark O. Polo May 1st, 2004 06:03 PM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

Hi JTC,

I have answered you by direct email. Let me know your reaction.

Aloha

jtc May 1st, 2004 07:01 PM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

thanks so much...your review whetted my appetite for this
type trip
I will also take a peek at the others...you seem to have
been on many wonderful cruises

--

"Mark O. Polo" wrote in message
Hi JTC,

I have answered you by direct email. Let me know your

reaction.

Aloha

P. Daniel May 6th, 2004 01:24 AM

Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

Last year we did one of the competitors: Uniworld (on the Rhine, from
Basel up to Amsterdam). The Viking ships we saw looked comparable. I
enjoyed the trip a great deal. Very very different from an ocean
cruise (of course), but the river ships have a number of points in
their favor. One issue: meals. We were generally docked overnight
(not in transit, as you usually are in an ocean itinerary), so,
although you've paid to eat on the ship each day, you're only a
stone's throw from local establishments. The Uniworld food was good
enough that we opted for ship meals about 80% of the time -- but the
situation is a bit of a dilemma!