TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Pre-pay cell/mobile? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=171310)

S Viemeister[_2_] January 10th, 2011 07:28 PM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

Not really an air travel question, but -

Do Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands count as domestic/national, for
US-purchased SIM cards from T-Mobile and/or ATT?

Or are international roaming rates charged for calls made and received
while in PR and VI?

Bert Hyman January 10th, 2011 08:35 PM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

In S Viemeister
wrote:

Not really an air travel question, but -

Do Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands count as domestic/national,
for US-purchased SIM cards from T-Mobile and/or ATT?

Or are international roaming rates charged for calls made and received
while in PR and VI?

For T-Mobile, unless somebody comes along with a definitive answer,
you'd should probably call them, since the info on their Web site is
contradictory or at least confusing. You might also ask in
alt.cellular.t-mobile.

On the one hand, PR and USVI show as green on the pre-paid coverage map.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/Prepaid.aspx

On the other hand, a small part of Canada is also green, but Canada's
listed in their International Roaming list, with a charge of $.69/minute
for calls made inside Canada.

PR and USVI don't show up on that list, but Dominican Republic, Haiti
and Mexico do.

And then, there's this:

Calls placed while roaming internationally, within other
countries, will be charged a roaming rate + long distance
charge. Please visit the Roam Worldwide section for information
regarding current rates.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaidrates.aspx

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

[email protected] January 11th, 2011 03:59 AM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:28:04 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

Do Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands count as domestic/national, for
US-purchased SIM cards from T-Mobile and/or ATT?

PR and the USVI are both considered domestic US by AT&T and Verizon. I
don't know about T-Mobile.

-- Larry

Runge 127 January 11th, 2011 07:01 AM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

No but who cares

"S Viemeister" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

Not really an air travel question, but -

Do Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands count as domestic/national, for
US-purchased SIM cards from T-Mobile and/or ATT?

Or are international roaming rates charged for calls made and received
while in PR and VI?

DevilsPGD[_3_] January 11th, 2011 07:23 AM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

In message "Runge 127"
was claimed to have wrote:

No but who cares

Someone traveling to, or living in Puerto Rico and/or the US Virgin
Islands might care.

Runge 127 January 11th, 2011 03:35 PM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

might

"DevilsPGD" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

In message "Runge 127"
was claimed to have wrote:

No but who cares

Someone traveling to, or living in Puerto Rico and/or the US Virgin
Islands might care.

DevilsPGD[_3_] January 11th, 2011 06:22 PM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

In message "Runge 127"
was claimed to have wrote:

might

Well, if someone cared enough to ask here, I'm guessing we know someone
that cares.

Does that answer your question?

Runge 127 January 11th, 2011 09:21 PM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

Sorry not interested.
Next ?

was claimed to have wrote:

might

Well, if someone cared enough to ask here, I'm guessing we know someone
that cares.

Does that answer your question?

Tom P[_6_] January 13th, 2011 08:52 PM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

On 01/11/2011 07:22 PM, DevilsPGD wrote:
In ge.fr "Runge 127"
was claimed to have wrote:

might

Well, if someone cared enough to ask here, I'm guessing we know someone
that cares.

Does that answer your question?

Just ignore Runge, he does the same thing in every newsgroup.

S Viemeister[_2_] January 18th, 2011 04:54 PM

Pre-pay cell/mobile?

wrote:

Do Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands count as domestic/national, for
US-purchased SIM cards from T-Mobile and/or ATT?

PR and the USVI are both considered domestic US by AT&T and Verizon. I
don't know about T-Mobile.

I've just returned from the local T-Mobile shop - I am assured that USVI
and PR both count as domestic, even for PAYG SIMs.
The SIM has been installed in a spare unlocked phone, is activated, and
is ready for pickup by the technophobe friend who will be travelling soon.