TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How to replace wheels on luggage (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=53874)

[email protected] December 24th, 2004 08:13 PM

How to replace wheels on luggage

I have a piece of I want to use for a trip in a week or so. I used this
bag one time and apparently snow/rocks got lodged and both wheels wore
down unevenly. I went to a luggage store and they said it wasn't
covered under warranty and it would be $60 plus an expedite fee to get
it in less than 2 weeks (even though they repair them onsite). I
thought for 2 $3 wheels, that was excessive. I took apart the bag (it
has screw construction- it is a Dakota MTX). My question is how do you
get the wheels off? They look like they are riveted, but it is hard to
tell. It could be some other kind of fastener.

Harlen Ng December 25th, 2004 02:02 AM

If you can see both ends of the wheel shaft, I would guess you can
punch/drive the shaft out.

I when through the same thing you did and realized that it would cost me
too much to have a shop fix it for me. On my luggage, the whole wheel
housing is riveted it - too much work for sure and expensive labor.

In the end (since the luggage was practically new), I bought Welder
Heavy-Duty Adhesive (clear) and filled in the flat spot. The adhesive
works on rubber. I took the luggage on a 3 week trip to Europe and the
glued fix had no problem. Just apply the adhesive to the flat spot, and
use a card to smooth it while rotating the wheel. I hope the flat spot
isn't too large.

Good Luck -

wrote:

I have a piece of I want to use for a trip in a week or so. I used this
bag one time and apparently snow/rocks got lodged and both wheels wore
down unevenly. I went to a luggage store and they said it wasn't
covered under warranty and it would be $60 plus an expedite fee to get
it in less than 2 weeks (even though they repair them onsite). I
thought for 2 $3 wheels, that was excessive. I took apart the bag (it
has screw construction- it is a Dakota MTX). My question is how do you
get the wheels off? They look like they are riveted, but it is hard to
tell. It could be some other kind of fastener.

Service Tech December 25th, 2004 10:29 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a piece of I want to use for a trip in a week or so. I used this
bag one time and apparently snow/rocks got lodged and both wheels wore
down unevenly. I went to a luggage store and they said it wasn't
covered under warranty and it would be $60 plus an expedite fee to get
it in less than 2 weeks (even though they repair them onsite). I
thought for 2 $3 wheels, that was excessive. I took apart the bag (it
has screw construction- it is a Dakota MTX). My question is how do you
get the wheels off? They look like they are riveted, but it is hard to
tell. It could be some other kind of fastener.

Do you have the replacement wheels ? or are you trying to remove the old
wheels without having the replacements on hand ? By looking at the
replacements, they should give you some idea of how they're mounted.
Sometimes, the "rivets" are two pieces which press together from opposite
ends. The old ones may have to be destroyed to remove them, and replaced
with new along with the new wheels.

[email protected] December 28th, 2004 08:11 PM

The wheels are too worn to do any kind of repair. They definitely need
to be replaces. Any idea where to get the wheels and the shaft? I was
thinking since the wheels are supposedly inline skate wheels, I could
get them at a sporting goods store. I have no idea where to get the
shaft if I can't reuse the one that is in there.

[email protected] December 28th, 2004 08:11 PM

The wheels are too worn to do any kind of repair. They definitely need
to be replaces. Any idea where to get the wheels and the shaft? I was
thinking since the wheels are supposedly inline skate wheels, I could
get them at a sporting goods store. I have no idea where to get the
shaft if I can't reuse the one that is in there.

Service Tech December 28th, 2004 08:37 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
The wheels are too worn to do any kind of repair. They definitely need
to be replaces. Any idea where to get the wheels and the shaft? I was
thinking since the wheels are supposedly inline skate wheels, I could
get them at a sporting goods store. I have no idea where to get the
shaft if I can't reuse the one that is in there.

A Sporting goods store would probably be you best bet. If they sell the
wheels, they should sell the axels also. If you're lucky, the parts may fit
your luggage. If you have no luck with the axels, you may want to try
browsing a hardware store to come up with an alternative. Another thing to
try; do you know someone who works in a maintenance department for a
company. They may be able to put something together for you.

Service Tech December 28th, 2004 08:37 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
The wheels are too worn to do any kind of repair. They definitely need
to be replaces. Any idea where to get the wheels and the shaft? I was
thinking since the wheels are supposedly inline skate wheels, I could
get them at a sporting goods store. I have no idea where to get the
shaft if I can't reuse the one that is in there.

A Sporting goods store would probably be you best bet. If they sell the
wheels, they should sell the axels also. If you're lucky, the parts may fit
your luggage. If you have no luck with the axels, you may want to try
browsing a hardware store to come up with an alternative. Another thing to
try; do you know someone who works in a maintenance department for a
company. They may be able to put something together for you.

Jeff Hacker December 29th, 2004 03:59 PM

contact the manufacturer, or a company that does luggage repairs for the
airlines. (Ask at the baggage service counter for any airline at your local
airport and they'll probably be able to recommend one.

wrote in message
oups.com...
The wheels are too worn to do any kind of repair. They definitely need
to be replaces. Any idea where to get the wheels and the shaft? I was
thinking since the wheels are supposedly inline skate wheels, I could
get them at a sporting goods store. I have no idea where to get the
shaft if I can't reuse the one that is in there.

RAK January 1st, 2005 10:43 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a piece of I want to use for a trip in a week or so. I used this
bag one time and apparently snow/rocks got lodged and both wheels wore
down unevenly. I went to a luggage store and they said it wasn't
covered under warranty and it would be $60 plus an expedite fee to get
it in less than 2 weeks (even though they repair them onsite). I
thought for 2 $3 wheels, that was excessive. I took apart the bag (it
has screw construction- it is a Dakota MTX). My question is how do you
get the wheels off? They look like they are riveted, but it is hard to
tell. It could be some other kind of fastener.

This does not help you, but I twice wore out the wheels on a Samsonite bag
and they were replaced free. I just had to call a Samsonite freephone number
(in the UK in my case), tell them the model number, and they posted out
replacements free of charge - the whole assembly, not just the wheels.

There were no questions about warranties, etc. The bag was about 5 years old
first time it happened, maybe 8 years old second time. The rest of the very
strong bag finally died this year, after about 10 years and hundreds of
flights and many other trips.

$60 for simple spares sounds like a "don't buy this brand" warning.