TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Baggage transfer at intermediate stops (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=180670)

Neville MADDEN October 12th, 2013 01:34 AM

Baggage transfer at intermediate stops

Good morning, My wife and I are flying from Los Angeles to Greensboro NC
with United.

There is a stopover in Chicago and a flight transfer to EXPRESSJET
AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS for the onward flight to Greensboro.

Do I have to collect our luggage in Chicago or will United tranship it to
the ongoing flight with the new airline?

Thanks

Neville
Toowoomba
Queensland
Australia

KB October 12th, 2013 11:03 PM

"Neville MADDEN" wrote in message
Good morning, My wife and I are flying from Los Angeles to Greensboro NC
with United.

There is a stopover in Chicago and a flight transfer to EXPRESSJET
AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS for the onward flight to Greensboro.

Do I have to collect our luggage in Chicago or will United tranship it to
the ongoing flight with the new airline?

Thanks

Neville
Toowoomba
Queensland
Australia

The airline will transfer your checked bags. The express jets are usually
small Bombardiers and, depending on the size of your hand luggage, you may
end up having to check that as well. They won't charge you for that.

Keith

Brian[_1_] October 14th, 2013 03:19 AM

Baggage transfer at intermediate stops

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 18:03:22 -0400, "KB"
wrote:

The airline will transfer your checked bags. The express jets are usually
small Bombardiers and, depending on the size of your hand luggage, you may
end up having to check that as well. They won't charge you for that.

Keith

When bags are gate checked, is there any chance of them being sent
somewhere else? I've never done but do carry medicine that is very
important.

KB October 15th, 2013 12:51 AM

wrote:

The airline will transfer your checked bags. The express jets are usually
small Bombardiers and, depending on the size of your hand luggage, you may
end up having to check that as well. They won't charge you for that.

Keith

When bags are gate checked, is there any chance of them being sent
somewhere else? I've never done but do carry medicine that is very
important.

They go right onto the plane and are set usually delivered back to you as
you deplane. They wont be handled with the regular checked bags.

Keith

Brian[_1_] October 15th, 2013 02:37 AM

Baggage transfer at intermediate stops

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 19:51:31 -0400, "KB"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The airline will transfer your checked bags. The express jets are usually
small Bombardiers and, depending on the size of your hand luggage, you may
end up having to check that as well. They won't charge you for that.

Keith

When bags are gate checked, is there any chance of them being sent
somewhere else? I've never done but do carry medicine that is very
important.

They go right onto the plane and are set usually delivered back to you as
you deplane. They wont be handled with the regular checked bags.

Keith

Thank you

MI October 15th, 2013 10:21 PM

Baggage transfer at intermediate stops

wrote:

The airline will transfer your checked bags. The express jets are usually
small Bombardiers and, depending on the size of your hand luggage, you may
end up having to check that as well. They won't charge you for that.

Keith

When bags are gate checked, is there any chance of them being sent
somewhere else? I've never done but do carry medicine that is very
important.

I would never check all my meds. If it's a short trip I take all my meds in
a carry-on. If it is a long trip I will put some in checked baggage just so
I don't have to carry it all, but I carry at least 1 weeks supply on board.
If they lose it, it may be several days before they find it. Or you could
end up with a hassle to get the scripts refilled.

--
Martha

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Brian[_1_] October 16th, 2013 02:21 AM

Baggage transfer at intermediate stops

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 14:21:32 -0700, MI wrote:

wrote:

The airline will transfer your checked bags. The express jets are usually
small Bombardiers and, depending on the size of your hand luggage, you may
end up having to check that as well. They won't charge you for that.

Keith

When bags are gate checked, is there any chance of them being sent
somewhere else? I've never done but do carry medicine that is very
important.

I would never check all my meds. If it's a short trip I take all my meds in
a carry-on. If it is a long trip I will put some in checked baggage just so
I don't have to carry it all, but I carry at least 1 weeks supply on board.
If they lose it, it may be several days before they find it. Or you could
end up with a hassle to get the scripts refilled.

The question was about what would happen if the carryon were removed
from me and I had no choice.

DevilsPGD[_4_] October 20th, 2013 08:49 AM

Baggage transfer at intermediate stops

wrote:

[...]

You can also mention it's medication that you may require in-flight and
request to keep it with you. These planes have tiny over-head bins, but
oddly seem to have more under-seat room than average, my main backpack
just barely counts as luggage, won't fit in the overhead at all, but
does fit under the seat in front of me.

It'll be uncomfortable, but since these are normally short flights, it
might be less uncomfortable than stressing about your medication.

--
The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their own.

Brian[_1_] October 28th, 2013 03:14 AM

Baggage transfer at intermediate stops

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:49:10 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

You can also mention it's medication that you may require in-flight and
request to keep it with you. These planes have tiny over-head bins, but
oddly seem to have more under-seat room than average, my main backpack
just barely counts as luggage, won't fit in the overhead at all, but
does fit under the seat in front of me.

It'll be uncomfortable, but since these are normally short flights, it
might be less uncomfortable than stressing about your medication.

Hopefully I'll never have to take one. Unfortunately I need the
underseat area for my legs and feet.

I guess I would have to figure something else out with medications. It
would be a regular carryon bag that they would be in.

DevilsPGD[_4_] October 28th, 2013 04:08 AM

wrote:

You can also mention it's medication that you may require in-flight and
request to keep it with you. These planes have tiny over-head bins, but
oddly seem to have more under-seat room than average, my main backpack
just barely counts as luggage, won't fit in the overhead at all, but
does fit under the seat in front of me.

It'll be uncomfortable, but since these are normally short flights, it
might be less uncomfortable than stressing about your medication.

Hopefully I'll never have to take one. Unfortunately I need the
underseat area for my legs and feet.

I generally do too, I'm a large guy with long legs. These planes, oddly,
seem to have room under the seat for my large backpack and legs.

I guess I would have to figure something else out with medications. It
would be a regular carryon bag that they would be in.

It will have to be smaller than standard carry-on size, my backpack is a
standard carry-on size and must either be gate-checked or go under the
seat on these particular planes.

--
The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their own.