TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   BA buys BD. Codeshare query. (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=174107)

Graham Harrison[_3_] November 5th, 2011 02:08 PM

BA buys BD. Codeshare query.

Many British Midland (BD) flights carry codeshare numbers from people like
United, Lufthansa and other Star carriers. Anyone know how much notice
they have to give before they can stop providing that service to their Star
partners now that British Airways (BA), which is a oneWorld carrier, has
entered into an agreement to buy BD?

JohnT[_8_] November 5th, 2011 03:17 PM

BA buys BD. Codeshare query.

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
Many British Midland (BD) flights carry codeshare numbers from people like
United, Lufthansa and other Star carriers. Anyone know how much notice
they have to give before they can stop providing that service to their
Star partners now that British Airways (BA), which is a oneWorld carrier,
has entered into an agreement to buy BD?

The likelihood is that British Midland will cease to exist.

--
JohnT

Graham Harrison[_3_] November 5th, 2011 04:20 PM

BA buys BD. Codeshare query.

"JohnT" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
Many British Midland (BD) flights carry codeshare numbers from people
like United, Lufthansa and other Star carriers. Anyone know how much
notice they have to give before they can stop providing that service to
their Star partners now that British Airways (BA), which is a oneWorld
carrier, has entered into an agreement to buy BD?

The likelihood is that British Midland will cease to exist.

--
JohnT

I agree. But that's not the question.

John Levine November 5th, 2011 05:44 PM

BA buys BD. Codeshare query.

Many British Midland (BD) flights carry codeshare numbers from people like
United, Lufthansa and other Star carriers. Anyone know how much notice
they have to give before they can stop providing that service to their Star
partners now that British Airways (BA), which is a oneWorld carrier, has
entered into an agreement to buy BD?

The article says that details are still being negotiated. Since the
current owner is Lufthansa, I'd expect the code shares would be part
of the negotiations, so we won't know until they deign to tell us.

R's,
John

Kurt Ullman November 5th, 2011 06:28 PM

BA buys BD. Codeshare query.

In article , John Levine
wrote:

Many British Midland (BD) flights carry codeshare numbers from people like
United, Lufthansa and other Star carriers. Anyone know how much notice
they have to give before they can stop providing that service to their Star
partners now that British Airways (BA), which is a oneWorld carrier, has
entered into an agreement to buy BD?

The article says that details are still being negotiated. Since the
current owner is Lufthansa, I'd expect the code shares would be part
of the negotiations, so we won't know until they deign to tell us.

R's,
John

Either way it wouldn't be an issue until the deal closes, so you would
have some time to sort things out if needed.

Graham Harrison[_3_] November 5th, 2011 09:26 PM

BA buys BD. Codeshare query.

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article , John Levine
wrote:

Many British Midland (BD) flights carry codeshare numbers from people
like
United, Lufthansa and other Star carriers. Anyone know how much notice
they have to give before they can stop providing that service to their
Star
partners now that British Airways (BA), which is a oneWorld carrier, has
entered into an agreement to buy BD?

The article says that details are still being negotiated. Since the
current owner is Lufthansa, I'd expect the code shares would be part
of the negotiations, so we won't know until they deign to tell us.

R's,
John

Either way it wouldn't be an issue until the deal closes, so you would
have some time to sort things out if needed.

I beg to differ to a degree. I should add I'm not travelling, just
interested. One assumes that in any codeshare agreement (be it within or
without an Alliance) there is some process which has to be followed to
unravel agreements. There must also be a process for leaving an Alliance.
Now BA could leave BMI as a member of Star but I can't see that happening.
So, at some point the various codeshares and Star membership will end.
Until that point BMI will probably contunie to exist in some form. I'm
just trying to get a handle on when that might be and, at the same time,
understand how certain elements of the industry work.