TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Allegedly, Delta Baggage: Ft Lauderdale---ATL, 50 lbs plus 3 lbsOver = $83 ! (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=145274)

Robert Cohen October 20th, 2008 04:40 AM

Allegedly, Delta Baggage: Ft Lauderdale---ATL, 50 lbs plus 3 lbsOver = $83 !

Fortunately, the passenger was able to stick the 3 lbs overage in
friend's suitcase

If this anecdote is of a true fee figure, then ... semi-terrific

If the airline is not trying to make annoyed, dissatisfied customers,
then Federal Express, United Parcel, and/or USPO containers should be
available for c.o.ds. (or prepaid) which I am merely GUESSING would
amount to surely less than $25 retail for 3 pounds

mrtravel[_2_] October 20th, 2008 09:23 AM

Robert Cohen wrote:

Fortunately, the passenger was able to stick the 3 lbs overage in
friend's suitcase

If this anecdote is of a true fee figure, then ... semi-terrific

If the airline is not trying to make annoyed, dissatisfied customers,
then Federal Express, United Parcel, and/or USPO containers should be
available for c.o.ds. (or prepaid) which I am merely GUESSING would
amount to surely less than $25 retail for 3 pounds

Airlines have weight, size, and number of piece limits.
If you exceed them, you pay more.
It has been this way for quite MANY years.
Are you shocked by this all of a sudden?

Robert Cohen October 20th, 2008 04:16 PM

On Oct 20, 4:23*am, mrtravel wrote:
Robert Cohen wrote:
Fortunately, the passenger was able to stick the 3 lbs overage *in
friend's suitcase

If this anecdote is of a true fee figure, *then ... semi-terrific

If the airline is not trying to make annoyed, dissatisfied customers,
then Federal Express, United Parcel, and/or USPO containers should be
available for c.o.ds. (or prepaid) *which I am merely GUESSING would
amount to surely less than $25 *retail for 3 pounds

Airlines have weight, size, and number of piece limits.
If you exceed them, you pay more.
It has been this way for quite MANY years.
Are you shocked by this all of a sudden?

yeah, i knew this

so, i've got accurate figures, since you didn't quibble with the $83
for 3 pounds

i'll let my ungreat exclamation and the excellent rhetorical question
you ask stand

for historians in 2108 (if there is a y2108)

Robert Neville October 21st, 2008 12:54 AM

Robert Cohen wrote:

i'll let my ungreat exclamation and the excellent rhetorical question
you ask stand

And I'll ask why you are surprised? From the Delta web site and note the phrase
"you'll be charged three times":

Fees

For tickets purchased on or after July 31, 2008, for travel on or after August
5, 2008, the baggage fees will be changing. See below for exact fees. No more
than four checked bags will be allowed in all Delta Connection® carriers.

You'll be charged an excess baggage fee each time you go over any one of the
free allowances.

For example, if you have an extra piece of baggage that goes over the weight
limit and the size limit, then you'll be charged 3 times:

* once for the extra bag,
* once for going over the size limit, and
* once for going over the weight limit.

Fees are for each additional bag, each way.

mrtravel[_2_] October 21st, 2008 08:21 AM

Robert Cohen wrote:

Fortunately, the passenger was able to stick the 3 lbs overage in
friend's suitcase

If this anecdote is of a true fee figure, then ... semi-terrific

If the airline is not trying to make annoyed, dissatisfied customers,
then Federal Express, United Parcel, and/or USPO containers should be
available for c.o.ds. (or prepaid) which I am merely GUESSING would
amount to surely less than $25 retail for 3 pounds

Airlines have weight, size, and number of piece limits.
If you exceed them, you pay more.
It has been this way for quite MANY years.
Are you shocked by this all of a sudden?

yeah, i knew this

so, i've got accurate figures, since you didn't quibble with the $83
for 3 pounds

I didn't check your figures, since you didn't post enough information
The rate varies by carrier. You didn't cite a carrier or a routing.
The rates for the major carriers can be found on their websites.

mrtravel[_2_] October 21st, 2008 08:24 AM

Robert Cohen wrote:

[...]

Sorry.. you did say Delta.
So, you can easily find the Delta website to check the fees.

I have never paid for excess pieces, size, or weight.
Most passengers don't.
Airlines are trying desperately to make a profit.
Those that have more "needs" should pay more.

Robert Cohen October 21st, 2008 04:11 PM

Robert Cohen wrote:

[...]

Those that have more "needs" should pay more.- Hide quoted text -

Okay, i'm SUITably confused by the math hay, baddd pun, including
brief lesson in cargo engineering

Personally, I'm not a good traveler, but this 3 lbs over happened to
my wife whom generally is (doesn't kvetch/complain)

My 'i told ya so' comment: no plane trips to anywhere if can be
avoided, it's one hassle after another, not that there is anything
pleasant about that

However: We indeed are going on an Air Tran 600 + 600 miles (RT) in
November, and should easily meet the baggage requirements as it is for
only 2 or 3 days' amount of stuff

I certainly realize the airlines need to make up the fuel et cetera
costs, and therefore can't begrudge their weighty games

C'est la grams (killograms)