TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "ATTENTION QE2 PASSENGERS/CREW: DISCOVERY CHANNEL SEEKING WITNESSES . . . (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=20142)

CupCaked September 24th, 2003 02:14 AM

"ATTENTION QE2 PASSENGERS/CREW: DISCOVERY CHANNEL SEEKING WITNESSES . . .

.. . . Aboard Queen Elizabeth 2 in Sept. 1995. Ship encountered
Hurricane Luis enroute to New York. Got hit by 90 foot rogue wave."

In discussions with a producer of a film production company currently
producing a documentary for the Discovery Channel about a new wave
phenomenon. They are looking to talk to passengers/crew personnel who
were aboard the Westbound Atlantic crossing in September 1995 when the
Queen Elizabeth 2 got hit by a rogue wave.

If you happened to be on this voyage or know someone who was, please
contact:

Tanya Bandmann
Producer and U.S. Representative
36 B Forest Drive
Springfield, NJ 07081
USA
Phone (973) 218-1198
Fax (973) 218-1051
Cell (973) 441-3711

***** ***** *****

I'd love to see more programming about ocean liners and cruise ships
on cable channels such as Discovery. I hope someone can help Tanya
out with this project.

Karen

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Warren H. Davis September 24th, 2003 04:39 PM

(CupCaked) wrote in message ...
. . . Aboard Queen Elizabeth 2 in Sept. 1995. Ship encountered
Hurricane Luis enroute to New York. Got hit by 90 foot rogue wave."
snipThey are looking to talk to passengers/crew personnel who
were aboard the Westbound Atlantic crossing in September 1995 when the
Queen Elizabeth 2 got hit by a rogue wave.

I wasn't on that particular crossing, but I *was* on the final
westbound crossing in December 1993 that was hit by a similar rogue.

I was sitting in a club chair on the promenade outside of the library
facing a window when it happened. All of the shelves in the library
toppled and I was splattered on to the window like a squashed bug on a
windshield. It was fascinatingly exhilerating and yet terrifying at
the same time - watching my entire field of vision filled with the
ocean's surface seemingly rising up towards me.

Was I ever so happy when the ship finally started its roll back to
starboard, except that's when I realized I was no longer safely in my
chair but now flat on my ass on the floor, with nothing but an angry
sky now filling the window.

(then I puked my guts out)

Warren

CupCaked September 24th, 2003 08:43 PM

"ATTENTION QE2 PASSENGERS/CREW: DISCOVERY CHANNEL SEEKING WITNESSES . . .

(Warren H. Davis) wrote:

(then I puked my guts out)

I love a romantic sea story ;-)

Karen

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

wattaguy July 11th, 2005 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren H. Davis
(CupCaked) wrote in message ...
[...]

I too was on the Oct, 1993 sailing of QE2, Westbound to New York.

It was in the later afternoon that the wave hit the ship. I was down near the very bottom of the ship in the gym doing an aerobic class.

All we felt when the wave hit was a bump. A fair size bump, but a bump.
It was the first cruise for the QE2 after she'd touched bottom off of Martha's Vineyard. Someone in the group very sarcastically said, "Oh, we must have found Teddy Kennedy;s OTHER car......"

The "bump" occurred just as we'd finished, so I left and got into the elevator, and headed for the lounge because it was time for Afternoon TEA. I got off the "lift" to find sheer pandemonium.

I immediately saw scrambling people having a good scream. A few were on the floor, and then I saw that the Grand Piano had come off of the stage, crashing into a wall, it lay on the floor of the lounge shattered. I walked up to my stepmother and asked, what happened?

I was told of the wave. I was told at the time that it was about a 50+ foot wave that caused an almost 40 degree roll. I was also told that QE2 could capsize at 45 degrees.

We were all a little intimidated.

I went down to my cabin to see if everything was alright, and it wasn't.

The first thing I saw as I came down the hallway on 3 deck aft to cabin 3150 were crew members coming out of my neighbors cabin. His full size old style cabinet television had come loose from its base and crashed into a large mirror shattering the glass. The neighbors had been inside, and fortunately were not injured.

I walked into 3150, and found that the bathtub had torn loose from its mountings and away from the wall. Water was everywhere. I walked out and told a crewmember.

Within minutes I had a Ships Engineer in my cabin who assessed the damage and decided that we had to move. I liked my cabin and wanted to keep it.
Instead of being one large room, that cabin has a small sleeping area with twin beds, and a separate large dressing area which can be closed off, and a very large bathroom. It's perfect for two travelling companions like my stepmother and I who had different sleeping patterns, and enjoyed dressing in private. Also we moved the chair into the dressing area, and one could go out and read if they awakened in the night.

I was shown all available cabins in my category, and in the next category, very PATIENTLY. Looking back, I was being a jerk. But I insisted on staying and them repairing and drying MY cabin.

They did it, and they did it quickly and graciously. I slept that night in a perfect and dry cabin.

I can't say enough about how the crew handled that event. They were quick, and thorough, and courteous, and I think if you'll remember, by the next day,
it was just a story....

I walked