Showing results 1 to 25 of 145
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Johannes Kleese
Forum: Europe November 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 174
Posted By Johannes Kleese
British driving and Imperial units of measure

100 centimeter are 1 meter, so 3487 centimeters are 34.87 meters.
You needed four lines to explain the conversion, I just one.

But you cannot measure .87 meters with a meter gauge.

If you...
Forum: Europe November 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 174
Posted By Johannes Kleese
British driving and Imperial units of measure

US and UK measure system are comparatively quite simple compared to the
situation that prevailed in continental Europe at the same time.

That's why the metric system has been in use for...
Forum: Europe November 19th, 2011, 03:43 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 174
Posted By Johannes Kleese
British driving and Imperial units of measure

US and UK measure system are comparatively quite simple compared to the
situation that prevailed in continental Europe at the same time.

That's why the metric system has been in use for some 200...
Forum: Europe November 19th, 2011, 03:36 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 174
Posted By Johannes Kleese
British driving and Imperial units of measure

I can easily figure 1200 inches in 100
feet and 173 inches is 10 feet and 53 inches and 53 inches is 4 feet 5
inches. Thus, 114 feet and 5 inches. Simple. There is no such think as
.42 feet...
Forum: Europe November 19th, 2011, 09:24 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 174
Posted By Johannes Kleese
British driving and Imperial units of measure

And in general, the English measures make more sense than metric,
anyway. Everybody knows this.

they're easier to manipulate in one's head

Indeed. 1 inch being 0.0833 feet or 0.02777 yards is...
Forum: Europe November 15th, 2011, 08:34 AM Posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,alt.politics.economics
Replies: 174
Posted By Johannes Kleese
"How the EU works: In Germany, they make the rules, in Britain,they obey the rules, in France, they bend the rules, in Spain, they breakthe rules, and in Italy they have no rules at all."

in Italy they are rational because they have cities built like
american cities : parallel and perpendicular streets

Examining maps of Rome, Padua, Venice, and Milan ('cause there's,
like,...
Forum: Europe November 14th, 2011, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 78
Posted By Johannes Kleese
Driving in France

Also, for me, my French is adequate for touristic purposes, but
it is slow and I'm not especially familiar with traffic patterns
and signs.

Traffic signs will be using standard...
Forum: Europe November 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 44
Posted By Johannes Kleese
London to Paris via Chunnel

What is the actual travel time for this trip? Eurostar says 2hr 15min, but a
friend called them up and was told the actual travel time is 20min

Maybe she talked about (or...
Forum: Europe November 14th, 2011, 09:40 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 78
Posted By Johannes Kleese
Driving in France

gun in German traffic science, British drivers are able to get 70,000
cars through a roundabout per day. The Germans, new to roundabouts and
used to obey (traffic lights, in this case :), at...
Forum: Europe November 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 44
Posted By Johannes Kleese
London to Paris via Chunnel

What is the actual travel time for this trip? Eurostar says 2hr 15min, but a
friend called them up and was told the actual travel time is 20min

As it's about 250 miles you'd have...
Forum: Europe November 13th, 2011, 08:31 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 78
Posted By Johannes Kleese
Driving in France

Roundabouts work very well when entering traffic yields to traffic in
the circle already. They work very badly under every other crazy
scheme I've seen tried (primarily in the...
Forum: Europe November 9th, 2011, 06:38 PM Posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,uk.politics.misc
Replies: 74
Posted By Johannes Kleese
Two-Pizza Euro Plunge Against U.S. Dollar

Hindsight: Anyone buying an in the money put option on 1 million Euros
vs USD yesterday would have made almost 20 thousand Euros in one
single day.

Hindsight: Anyone...
Forum: Europe November 9th, 2011, 05:19 PM Posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,uk.politics.misc
Replies: 74
Posted By Johannes Kleese
Euro Plunges Against U.S. Dollar on Italian, Greek Uncertainty

Euro plunges against greenback Bloomberg

Two cents is hardly "plunging".

Hindsight: Anyone buying an in the money put option on 1 million Euros
vs USD yesterday would have made...
Forum: Europe November 3rd, 2011, 08:19 AM Posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,uk.politics.misc
Replies: 4
Posted By Johannes Kleese
There are more Porsche Cayennes (price tag: €60,000) in Greece than taxpayers with incomes of more than €50,000

There are more Porsche Cayennes (price tag: €60,000) in Greece than
taxpayers with incomes of more than €50,000

That's because there are no taxpayers at all in Greece ;
Forum: Europe November 1st, 2011, 08:33 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 78
Posted By Johannes Kleese
Driving in France

Second that, especially at rush hour. After once renting a car from a
Paris agency and bringing it back during the rush hour, I resolved
never again.

But couldn't you say the same for...
Forum: Europe October 30th, 2011, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 99
Posted By Johannes Kleese
End of the Euro and "European Dream"? EC head: "We can't financeour social model...."

The European Central Bank in Frankfurt/Main Germany. For some reason
the national central banks continue to exist.

Where are the bills printed and the coins minted?

The national banks are...
Forum: Europe October 30th, 2011, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 99
Posted By Johannes Kleese
End of the Euro and "European Dream"? EC head: "We can't financeour social model...."

hey, wtf is the deal with CDU and CSU politicians' campaign signage
being vandalized with Hitler hair and moustaches?? I would have thought
that if there was a residual guilt-benefit from that...
Forum: Europe October 30th, 2011, 05:45 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe

On 2011-10-30 09:37:19 -0500, Wolfgang Schwanke said:

Johannes, thanks for the reply, but I do not understand what is the
causation between...
Forum: Europe October 29th, 2011, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 99
Posted By Johannes Kleese
End of the Euro and "European Dream"? EC head: "We can't financeour social model...."

On 1-1-12 Inbev including Stella
Artois is increasing beer prices by 8% using the price of barley as an
excuse. Vote with your feet.

Well, who cares. Customers of Inbev just get what they...
Forum: Europe October 28th, 2011, 05:17 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 99
Posted By Johannes Kleese
End of the Euro and "European Dream"? EC head: "We can't financeour social model...."

Ex KGB men litter the globe. If ask one of them which they think is the
most dangerous and ruthless intelligence agency in the world the
invariable answer is 'British Intelligence'.

Yes, I...
Forum: Europe October 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 99
Posted By Johannes Kleese
End of the Euro and "European Dream"? EC head: "We can't financeour social model...."

You wrote "the population opposes it, that's reason
enough against the Euro" - no, it ain't if I doubt the sources of the
population's opinion.

Democracy is not a negotiable...
Forum: Europe October 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 99
Posted By Johannes Kleese
End of the Euro and "European Dream"? EC head: "We can't financeour social model...."

Everyone involved has no desire ever again to have to fight the bloody
Germans again.

You give up this easy?

He fears the German tanks. Ha! :)

You still have...
Forum: Europe October 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 99
Posted By Johannes Kleese
End of the Euro and "European Dream"? EC head: "We can't financeour social model...."

Not quite. Many places in The Netherlands, especially bars and
restaurants charge far more in Euros now than they did in Guilders.
For example a meal that cost Dfl32 now...
Forum: Europe October 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe

Markku Grönroos wrote:
25.10.2011 17:58, William Black kirjoitti:

Everyone involved has no desire ever again to have to fight the bloody
Germans again.

You give up this easy?

He...
Forum: Europe October 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe