Old August 20th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Frank Slootweg

Peter wrote:
In article ,
says...
Alessandro Cannarsi wrote:
2) flying Sydney-Uluru, driving about, Flying Alice-Cairns, driving up
to Cape York (how many days?), diving 3/4 days on the reef and then fly
back to Sydney.

Best way to plan your journey is to open a spreadshet and fill in the
days of your journey.

I'd also get a driving map with the distances shown
http://www.australianexplorer.com/driving_distances.htm has a rough
guide and links to more detailed sites. Most of the distances are two or
three *thousand* kilometres.

But even then the distances are hard to imagine, especially for
Europeans, which I imagine the original poster (Alessandro Cannarsi) is.
Some Europeans 'easily' drive 1000km and more a day to get somewhere. In
Australia that is hardly possible (for a European) and a complete waste
of your time. If you drive (so) much per day, you might as well fly,
because you will not have time to see/visit anything along the way, and
the *driver* will see the road and little else.

A more sane distance is a *few* hundred km per day. Many rental
agencies advise an average of about 250km per day. But with those
averages, the original poster will get exactly nowhere, given his
limited time.

Personally, I prefer driving, so I would limit how far I would go and
would probably drop Ayers Rock (etc.) and Kakadu and go north from
Sydney to as far as practical/comfortable, or perhaps even south and
'around' the lower-right 'corner' of Australia to Melbourne, Great Ocean
Road, etc.. I have not checked, but probably the Snowy Mountains
(Koswhatever) and/or Grampians National Parks could be included.

Also Bego's fly+drive plan looks quite OK.

Another approach is to get some brochures from a good/responsible
travel company and 'copy' one of their itineraries, especially the
fly+(self-)drive ones.

Alessandro, for your information: On our first trip we did *less* (not
Cairns and further up north) than what you are planning in *six* weeks,
and *still* flew part of the way (from Alice Springs back to Sydney).