Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

"tim....." wrote:
"Erilar" wrote in message ...
"tim....." wrote:
"

I'm struggling to understand the scenario of you not having any local
money because you have just arrived and yet you are looking for a departure gate.

I had used my coins previously; I was only in London overnight, headed for
Eastern Europe, and still a bit jet-lagged

I can only guess that you are changing flights off of a transatlantic onto a local flight?

and barely grabbed the last open seat,

Are we talking about the last seat in the departure lounge?

Yes.

Again, it's not the fault of the airport if fellow pax are too rude to
give up their set to a person in need.

which was next
to one of those machines.

This would be the machine that you didn't have the appropriate change for?

I buy the criticism that the prices these machines are extortionate. But
that is in no way unique to LHR. It is true of machines in 95% of the
world's airports and 95% of the world's (manufactured) tourists attractions.

Oh , i know that 8-(. Actually, I had some coins left, but not enough, and
had foolishly thought I'd find water or a non-machine source of liquid
along my route. Obviously, my airport experience is not diverse enough,
being primarily Germany, Scandinavia, and Chicago for the last decade.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad