Old December 5th, 2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Default Ship Attacks

[Default] Thus spake Brian K :

On 12/3/2008 9:56 AM Dillon Pyron did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
[Default] Thus spake "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot net:

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:42:36 -0500, "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot
net wrote:

With the rash of rash of pirate and terrorist stories, the cruise lines must
have contingency plans to repel attacks.
In all the cruises we have taken on many lines, we have never seen any weapons
displayed.
Does anyone know what contingency plans cruise lines have to deal with
attacks.

Hi,

The cruise lines do have elaborate plans for protection that include
special weapons from pirates. Due to security reasons, they do not
publish them for public consumption on the internet. A Seabourn ship
was attacked a few years ago and repelled the attackers with one of
these weapons. You might want to Google long range acoustic device
(LRAD) for more insight.

The cruise lines do have elaborate plans for protection that include
special weapons from pirates. Due to security reasons, they do not
publish them for public consumption on the internet. A Seabourn ship
was attacked a few years ago and repelled the attackers with one of
these weapons. You might want to Google long range acoustic device
(LRAD) for more insight.

I am not talking about that lame stuff.
When you are being attacked with RPG's you need real weapons to repel.
What you are talking about is no secret, it was widely disseminated in the news.
That lame acoustic thing is probably not the reason the attack was broken off.

Um, they were developed for the DoD. Which seems to like them. The
sound pressure levels and the frequencies are specifically designed to
cause incredible pain. I've seen video of them in use. People 100
meters away dropped in pain, unable to even run. The unfortunate side
effect was that three of the test subjects were later found to have
sinus bleeds. Bad for tests but kind of appealing for real world
applications.

What was more likely the attack was broken off for other reasons by the pirates.
I find it hard to believe that the cruise line would put their billion dollar
investment on the line with ONLY such a lame device.

You keep saying lame. Have you done any research into them. But I
agree, that's probably not the only line of defense.

At some point you have to put rounds into bodies.
Small arms fire just can close the distance.
My question is what large caliber weapons does the ship carry.

Why do you need large caliber? I can easily fire a .308 500 meters,
and I'm hardly a marksman. And just getting shot at deters most of

Unless they happen to be jehadist religious fanatics hell bent on
rampant destruction and booty calls, no wait, collecting booty to fuel
the jihad. No, wait that didn't come out right either.

Sheik Sheik Sheik, Sheik Yabooty.
--
- dillon I am not invalid

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams come true.
Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which
will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no
matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.