Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank from Deeeetroit

Default I'm gonna throw this out there

On Oct 26, 5:05*pm, Tom K wrote:
On 10/26/11 12:06 PM, Jr. wrote:

What are the advantages or disadvantages of booking a cruise on Princess
direct and not using a travel agent?

Remember... they both charge you the same price. *Princess just keeps
the commission if you book with them.

So... (just a few)...

If there is a price drop later, Princess already has your money. *A TA
can fight to get you a price reduction. *Princess won't.

Some TA's even have software that tracks price drops.

And sometimes TA's can even get you things if there is a price drop
after final payment, such as upgrades based on the price drop.

If there is a problem, a TA can fight for you.

TA's have cheaper insurance than the cruise lines do.

TA's may have groups going (they belong to consortiums) and can then get
you a group rate.

No experience with Princess, only with Carnival and Norwegian. We
have had the opposite experience than you describe. We do not use
TA's, as any price decrease in place, we have called our cruise
representative and have been credited and or upgraded in 13 cruises.
It is a bit more work for my wife tracking the cruise price on a daily
basis and calling our contact at the cruise line, but what is a few
minutes on the computer and a few more minutes calling the cruise
line, all part of the fun leading up to the cruise.

We insure through our AAA agent, whom we have a 30 year relationship
with. Would not trust any third party insurance company for cruise
insurance, especially considering the cost of the cruise, spending
money, why scrimp on your insurance.

Frank