Old May 29th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Alan

Default phone service in AUS ...

On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:49:55 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

Last year - I used local pre-paid sims in Ireland, Italy and Turkey. NO
charge for incoming!!

Maybe not for pre-paid. I was on Telstra roaming:

Ireland:
http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/pro...eratorid=28071
or http://tinyurl.com/2cz5e

gives incoming at AU$0.41, with a setup of AU$0.40. On the same site,
you can check Turkey ($0.80,$0.40) or Italy ($0.45, $0.40). I suspect it
is factored into the overall cost on pre-paids, because talking to
locals in Italy we confirmed that incoming was charged on their normal
mobiles, not just something Telstra added on. It varied a little in cost
between servers, and was something we checked before choosing when
roaming.

Australia is one of the very few countries that doesn't charge for
incoming. We travelled 14 countries in Europe. All charged incoming.
It's one reason we left the phone off most of the time, and called
people back or emailed after checking messages. It's hard to politely
get people to shut up when they don't realise it's costing you as well
as them.

The OP may find that his local service has roaming agreements with
Telstra or Optus, this may solve his problem, as it did ours, provided
his frequencies are compatible. We only had bi, not tri, so couldn't
roam in the USA.

Cheers, Alan