Old December 1st, 2015, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

On 11-30-2015 07:34, Jack Campin wrote:
Sorry I wasn't clear. Indeed, I don't want to spend a LOT but there are
other factors than price. Even the bus is not out of the question, nor
the flight. But the train, with a tourist stop along the way is an
experience that appeals to me. Night train would save money, but
eyeballing the country along the way is worth the cost of a night's
lodging (under €25 is pretty easy to find).

I've done the sleeper train from Budapest most of the way to
Bucuresti - problem is, it crosses the border at about 2am and
it'll only just be getting light when you hit the interesting
bits of Transylvania. I'm not sure what alternatives there are.

Ricksteves.com suggests taking a night train not only to save on lodging
but because you compensate for missing rural scenery by having more
daylight hours at your destination. :-) I'm considering it.