Old June 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Mobile Phones in the US

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 05:37:38 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

On 6/20/2006 6:39 PM Keith wrote:
Hi,

We will be road travelling through the western US next month. I have a
tri-band mobile phone, but think that global roaming charges (from
Australian account) may too expensive for regular use. Are there fairly
cheap pre-paid phone or SIM card packages avaliable in the US, and if so
where are they available and what might be the approximate costs? What about
hiring a phone from the rental car company?

You'll find them in Target Stores, Staples, Best Buy to name a few.
Trac Phone is one that comes to mind. There are others.

Aren't the setup and per-minute charges outrageous? I used a T-Mobile
Sim card in my triband phone on one trip to the US and never again.
It's cheaper to pay the outrageous roaming charges from my Italian
provider. Actually my provider this year instituted a fairly
reasonably priced roaming plan.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.