Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Default Rail travel in europe

How much is it to travel around europe with the euro rail pass?

The Eurorail pass is the most expensive one!

Because there have been passes with similar names, it is important
to get the exact name right in order to be talking about the same
thing. The correct general name for the family of passes is
"Eurail" passes and http://www.eurail.com is their web site.

"Eurailpass" (one word) is a former name for what is now called a
"Eurail Global" pass. "Europass" is a former name for what is now
called a "Eurail Select" pass. "Eurorail pass" has never existed.

Of course, I don't try to see how many coutries I can count coup on
in a single trip, but if you want to take a closer look at a single
country, there are single-country passes that are a small fraction
of the price of Eurail passes. There are also cheaper passes for
two or three countries on a single pass...

Eurail offers "Eurail One Coutry" passes for one country (but see
below), "Eurail Regional" passes for two adjacent coutries, and
"Eurail Select" passes for 3, 4, or 5 adjacent countries. For these
purposes Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg count as one country
that is adjacent to Ireland.

None of the passes cover the UK (that's England, Scotland, Wales,
and Northern Ireland), and in Switzerland only some railways
are included.

One important point is that if you are over 26 years old, then Eurail
passes are only available for first-class travel. Railways in
different countries may offer their own passes as well, covering
their own country and in some cases adjacent countries. If you will
be traveling in the UK or if you only want a pass for second-class
travel, then you should look into these.

Some of the passes are only available for things like "10 travel
says within 2 months" while others, including the Eurail Global
Pass, are also available in continuous form, like "every day within
21 days". At one time the first type was called a "flexi" pass,
but Eurail doesn't use this term any more. I think it was misleading,
because it's really the continuous pass that offers you the most
flexibility: the other type is useful if most of your long-distance
travel will be confined to a few days of the trip. (For example,
if you want to spend a few days in each of a sequence of cities.)

If you're determined to use the expensive option, it's still going to be
only a fraction of the cost of tge trip. You'll need to eat and sleep as
well.

That's true.

On some of my trips to Europe I've judged that it probably wasn't
worthwhile getting any sort of rail pass. However, on my most
recent trip I was wrong. We traveled from Paris to Brussels, then
to some other points in Belgium, then to Koblenz and Heidelberg,
then around Switzerland for a while and finally back to Paris.
We traveled mostly secnd class and paid $1,270 (Canadian dollars) per
person for the tickets. Of this about $240 was on Swiss railways
that Eurail doesn't cover, but the other $1,030 would have been
covered by a 21-day Eurail Global Pass that currently costs $838
(Canadian). (A 4-country pass would have been even cheaper but
might not have offered enough travel days.)

On the other hand, (1) if we'd had a Eurail pass, we would have
missed our first train of the trip, because we didn't get to the train
station (at CDG Airport) until it was already boarding, and a Eurail
pass has to be validated at the ticket office before the first use.
By buying an actual ticket in advance (through our travel agent),
we were able to step right on. And (2) we were partly making up the
route as we went along, and didn't know until well into the trip that
we would return to Paris within 21 days. The next longer pass would
have cost significantly more. The more you know about where you're
going to go, the better you figure out which pass you want, if you
want one.
--
Mark Brader "You mean he made love to you?"
Toronto "Well, he went through all the emotions."