Old April 7th, 2007, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rog'

Default Rome, Coast to Sperlonga & Amalfi Coast Trip

"Lynda" wrote:
Is driving in Italy as "bad" as everyone keeps telling me? We''ve
driven in Paris before and lived to tell the tale. Most people we
speak to think we are mad for contemplating any driving - but my
husband is a confident driver, I just wondered what we should
expect, especially on those hairpin bends on the Amalfi coast!...

I've driven in both Rome and Paris. Paris was a breeze compared
to Rome. When I drove in Rome ('81), it seemed like that there was
only one traffic light in all of Rome. Street signs were above the 1st
floor on the sides of buildings, but of course, I did not know this. I
have been back to Rome 2x since then and left the driving to insane
taxi drivers.

The Amafi coast was a great drive. We did it from South to North
in the off-season month of April, which meant (1) driving on the
cliff-side of the road, and (b) much less traffic than during Summer
months.