Old December 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Default Winter in Las Vegas

Tobie Gerbrandt wrote:
Hi Nonny

You just HAD to boast about your snow, didn't you?

We had about 2 feet of the white stuff on the weekend (more than we usually
get all year). We got out on Tuesday for groceries, etc, then it started
again last night and we have about 4" of fresh slippery stuff now. Most of
the roads have been closed to traffic for most of the evening.

i hope it stops before christmas so we can get out to Barb's cousin's place
for turkey dinner next week.

Down there, you just have to wait about an hour and it will be all gone.
:-)

We're glad you two got home, safe and sound!!

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Thanks, Tobie. Our flight had a stopover in Phoenix, and if we'd been
delayed even a few minutes more, we'd probably still be there. We got
about 6" here at the Nonnyhouse, but some other areas go 8" or more. As
you know, Las Vegas' famous "Strip" is in a valley surrounded by
mountains, and the snowfall and temperatures are a function of the
elevation, typically. In this case, it was the biggest snowfall in 30+
years, they newspaper reports, and they had about 5" or more even in the
valley floor- the Strip.

Outside of the fenderbenders you'd expect, the only casualties of note
were broken trees. Most palms did OK, since they could sag and shed the
snow. The deciduous trees did well, also, since they had little to
catch the snow. Trees like Mesquite, Peppers etc. were hardest hit,
having leaves and woody branches. My next door neighbor's Peruvian
Pepper is trashed, with the whole top knocked out. My pepper out front
is sagged, but I think it'll pick back and survive. If not, it's time
to oil up Mr. Chainsaw. grin

We're sure looking forward to seeing everybody in a little over a month.

--
Nonnymus-

Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.

-Mark Twain