Old April 20th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Juliana L Holm

Jim Ley wrote:
That said, Ratzinger was drafted into the German Army during World War 2 and
defected, so I think that the connection is inappropriate.

He went AWOL in April 1945, 3 years after he joined, so it was hardly
some deep seated idealogical view against shooting at allied bombers
etc. It was simply that his side had lost and the war was going to be
over in a few weeks - lots of people were deserting!

He was 18 when the war ended. That means he was 15 when he was drafted.
--
Julie

http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm