Old September 21st, 2008, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Passenger arrested for not turning off his laptop

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:19:09 GMT, Larry in AZ
wrote:

Waiving the right to remain silent, said:

Gracious...it took six armed anti-terror police to do this? Must have
been a slow day for anti-terror efforts...oh wait, every day is a slow
day in 99.999 per cent of the world's airports.

Hey genius -- 99.9 percent of police go home at night having not made an
arrest.

Should we lay them all off according to your Bozonian logic..?

Most police get to perform police functions a lot in their carreer,
arrests are only one part of it. I submit that "anti-terror" police
will have only slightly more work in this counrty than blimp spotters
along the coast watching for incoming German Zeppelins.

Regular police perform a thousand different functions. "Anti-terror"
police obviously don't. And waiting for a genuine terror threat is a
great way to have a safe non-threatening job for life since you can
always tell people "OOOH, scary bad men are out there right now, trust
us, we have to wait for them so we can't be doing anything else
meantime." That's why six showed up liikely...only thing that broke
up a long boring day probably. Firemen at least get genuine fires to
deal with.

The "new" breed of terrorist doesn't stand about threatening to blow
something up, thus giving the cops something to work with and all the
high drama any TV producer could dream of. He walks up, pulls the pin
and "boom": End of terrorist, end of terrorist police, end of that
section of airport. "Halt or I'll shoot" doesn't mean diddley if your
intention is to die in the next few minutes anyway.

There's probably a greater threat of invasion by rabid baboons at most
airports anyway than by the eternal boogey man terrorist.

Jim P.