Old February 28th, 2012, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

Default Trains vs Planes and Automobiles

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:32:53 +0000, Loco2
wrote:

What are the things which affect people's decision to travel by plane or
train or car when going on holiday? I love trains, and avoid short-haul
flights in favour of the train. I'm curious why more people don't go by
train for trips around Europe? Is it mainly price or time are there
other reasons too?

For trips around Europe, it the cities are reasonably close to each
other, I normally travel by train (and occasionally bus).

I don't *love* trains, but they are less expensive than planes (as is
usually the cost of getting to the train station over getting to the
airport), and often faster. Yes, a flight takes less time than a train
ride, but if you are flying, you have to add in the time it takes to
get to the airport (often outside of town) and the amount of time you
have to get there early. So for a short distance, the total time for a
train is often less than for a plane.

--
Ken Blake