Old March 29th, 2005, 08:44 AM
higonnet

nightjar wrote:

"Charles Hawtrey" wrote in message
U.S. carriers generally allow one to fly standby on an earlier flight
than booked (on the same day) if there are open seats, for no
additional charge. The one time I asked about this when traveling on
a flight within Europe the agent politely but firmly said that I could
fly only on the exact flight that I had booked. This was on BA,
flying out of CPH.

Is it general policy within Europe not to allow same-day standbys, or
does it vary from airline to airline or country to country?...

Economy fares are usually sold on the basis that they are not
transferable. Full price tickets allow flexibility.

Indeed. But I too was quite early on a BA flight and they said no.

I don't see any economic benefit whatsoever to not accomodate an early
passenger's request if there are empty seats on the earlier flight. The
seat freed up on the later flight has a better (albeit small) chance of
being sold I would think.

Bernard Higonnet