Old October 12th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Bob Allison

In article ,
(Patty Winter) wrote:

It's New Camaldoli Hermitage:
http://www.contemplation.com/Hermitage/home.html

Are you sure? I see mention of retreat rooms, but nothing like ordinary
motel reservations.

New Camaldoni is a monastery that will allow guests a room and meals
(vegetarian) for retreat/meditation purposes. I suggest you contact them
(e-mail on web page). There may be a waiting list

Keep in mind this is a Franciscan Monastery, not a Holiday Inn.

About 10 miles south of New Camaldoni is a resort called Treebones.
http://www.treebonesresort.com/
It is a little above your expected price, but everything in Big Sur is
higher than "in town". (I lived there for 17 years)

Another 'motel" in the area is Lucia Lodge. located about 2 miles North of
the road to the hermatage. Not "away from it all" but you can investigate
the area during the day
http://www.lucialodge.com/mall/c121/s14406/

Avoid the resort called Gorda Springs Resort

There are several National Forest campgrounds, but they are for tent or RV
(Caravan) camping. That time of the year is liable to be cold and rainy.
In fact the road may be washed out. It is covered with mudslides often in
the winter. Sometime for hours, sometime for weeks. In the early 80's it
was closed for 13 months.

I found this webpage
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g240329-Big_Sur_California-Hotels.html
which lists our tourist accomodations. As you can see there aren't a lot.
Most of our visitors come in the summer and come prepared to rough it.
(camping)

If you need more info, post on this NG I check in every couple of days

Bob

--
I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet

Bob
in Carmel, CA