Old October 31st, 2005, 01:01 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default Attractions in Ullapool

I am going to Ullapool for a holiday in November and need some
suggestions as what is good to go see and do there!

Hillwalking? I've only been there once (October, I think) and did
a couple of the nearby mountains, staying in the bothy at Coiremor on
the way to Seana Braigh (one of the least accessible mountains in
Scotland, http://ccgi.mountaineer.plus.com/sco...00/index.shtml
for some pictures). The more northerly mountains of the Beinn Dearg
group are a day trip from Ullapool.

It has a terrific fish-and-chip shop near the pier, a hotel/pub/
restaurant that does Scottish music sometimes (the Ceilidh Place),
and there are boat trips to the nearby islands in summer (probably
not in November, but you might get lucky if the weather's good).
The group offshore is called the Summer Isles, but they're nothing
like the setting for "The Wicker Man" (where was that shot, anyway?)

We stayed in the vegetarian B&B, they were good.

At all costs avoid the Aultguish Inn. Even by the none too high
standards of friendliness and hygiene of Highland hostelries it's
a nightmare ********.