Old March 21st, 2005, 10:47 PM

Thanks very much for your fast reply.
I wish we could be there for Constitution Day. Unfortunately, my
vacation does not begin until 22 May, and we will be in Bergen first,
and not in Oslo until 26 May.
We will be on the Sognefjord from Flam, going to Gudvangen. I think
the highest elevation will be at Voss or Myrdal.
Thanks again.
Ray

Martin Strand wrote:
On 21 Mar 2005 09:37:18 -0800, wrote:

Can we safely walk (with luggage) from the station to the hotel?

That shouldn't be any problem. The crime rate in central Oslo is very

low.

2. What will the weather likely be like in late May?

Who knows? It will probably be like a cold summer, so if you're used

to a
warm climate, you might want to bring some warm clothes. In Northern

Norway, where I live, we can still experience some winter/early

spring
weather at that time, but Oslo is normally is a state of late

spring/early
summer, so the temperature should be pleasant. It can rain, so you

should
chech the weather just before you leave.

Will we need a
heavy coat in the evening and/or morning? Also, we are planning to

take
the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour. Will we need a heavy coat in the
mountains or on the fjord ferry?

If you're planning to enter the /real/ mountains (ie. Galdh=F8piggen

or
Gaustatoppen), you should have a wind proof coat, and a warm sweater

--
not just /a/ heavy coat! Be sure to include breathing underwear and

good
shoes.

On the fjord -- which one, by the way -- do you have to protect

yourself
against the wind, so your coat should be wind proof.

Thanks for any advice.

No problem. Welcome to Norway, and if I could give just one more

advice:
Plan your journey such that your're in Oslo at May 17. It's our
Constitution Day, and the celebration is unique: Instead of showing

off
our military power, we present the kids, and the public celebrations

gathers people all over the country.

--
Martin Strand
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a

sure =20
sign of a diseased mind."
-Terry Pratchett, =ABEric=BB