Old April 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Getting to Manchester airport early

Mark Brader wrote:

Shawn Hirn and David Horne write:
Two friends and I will be in Liverpool on June 14th for a show that
starts until 8:00pm. The show is at the Liverpool Echo Arena. I am
guessing the show won't end until at least 11:00.

... Is it practical for me to book a flight home from Machester
at 9:00am on the 15th?

Check www.nationalrail.co.uk- you will see that there are even hourly
direct trains between Liverpool and Manchester Airport itself- I reckon
that the 0513 departure would suit you best- the 0613 would maybe cut it
too fine (for my comfort anyway.)

Awesome! Thank you!

Well, awesome unless you oversleep and miss the flight. You'll have
about 6 hours to get from the concert to your hotel, get your bags
ready, go to bed, sleep, get up, check out, get from the hotel to the
train station, and buy a ticket. Even if you have a hotel near the
station (it's called Lime Street station, by the way), I doubt you'll
get much more than 4 hours' sleep, so you'll need to make very sure
that you get up when you're supposed to.

You'll also need to inform the hotel in advance that you'll be checking
out before 5 am -- smaller places won't have anyone on the desk at that
hour -- and if the hotel isn't near the station, arrange in advance for
a taxi.

Then you'll be on the train for about an hour. Best to keep your
baggage and stuff where you can have your hands on it if you doze
off during the ride.

Not everyone is phased by the idea of getting up early after a few hours
sleep.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)