Old April 15th, 2011, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

Default Connecting through LAX

"John Levine" wrote in message
The
terminals are adjacent to each other and it's much faster to walk

Is that safe? My AA flight arrives at about 9:30pm (after dark) and
the CX flight leaves early the next morning. Would it be dangerous to
be out in that neighborhood after sunset?

It's not a neighborhood--you'll be in the middle of the airport, with
vast numbers of people around. The two terminals really are next door
to each other. You walk out to where you would get on the bus, and
look to your left and you'll see the other terminal.

Would I have to schlep my bags, or is LAX modern enough that they
can be checked through?

If both flights are on the same ticket, AA should let you check
them through.

Would 3 hours be enough time to get through security at LAX and make
the connection?

It should be. You'll already be checked in, so it's just the security
line.

R's,
John

Actually, you might not have to go out at all. First of all, AA and CX are
both oneWorld, so there is certainly no problem with you getting boarding
passes at AA in SJC, all the way through to Hong Kong. AA used to have a
bus inside the terminal 4 connecting with the Tom Bradley International
Terminal because of Qantas' flights; they should be able to tell you if it
still exists - or look at AA.com to see if they are showing anything.

You should have absolutely no problem checking your bags through either.

jeff