Old March 18th, 2014, 01:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Home Guy

Default Flight MH370: Malaysian radar, passenger phone contact,high-altitude hypoxia

#1 this probably does show that the radar network in 3d world
countries is largely unwatched or spotty at best.

At least military radar. At 2 AM.

I guess the thinking is that a terrorist hijacking, with the intent on
flying a plane into a landmark, requires VFR conditions - daylight.

#2 Cell phones will be useless most of the places they were

I would bet a phone being able to send a text message if it was 10 miles
from a tower, 20k feet in the air, with the phone held against a
window. Possibly 20 miles.

#4 dropping the masks would get everyone back in their seats. 10
minutes later they would be slowly dying of hypoxia, still
sucking on a dwindling oxygen supply from a depleted generator.

A few people kicking at the door would keep kicking at the door
regardless if the masks drop.

And again I wonder what the rational is for putting a switch in the
cockpit that can PREVENT the masks from dropping. I don't think a lot
of people knew that.

And - there is usually one or more medical kits on board that has a tank
of breathable air. I'd be reaching for one of those - behind the
smaller over-head compartment doors.

And there should be an emergency radio in the tail of the plane that
can't be turned off from the cockpit.

The open question is whether he went inland or out to a place
with very deep water where the plane would never be found and
punched it in at mach 1+ in a powered dive.

I speculated previously that an attempt at a controlled landing on water
(regardless how "futile") would probably result in a smaller, less
obvious debris field.