Old December 14th, 2015, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default Iceland: scenic driving advice?

"Giovanni Drogo" wrote in message
news:alpine.LSU.2.00.1512140957240.16646@cbfrvqba. ynzoengr.vans.vg...
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

Hopefully not this season.

The generally plan is to circuit the island ...

Does anyone know, are there off-the-beaten path places I should be on my
itinerary? or otherwise, super scenic drives?

AFAIK (I do not drive and I did a coach tour with a small group)

I drove

the main ring road is easy peezy and will show you 90% of what Iceland has
to offer

Though you need to watch the Insurance. Even with CDR damage to the
underframe and windscreen is still not covered.

travelling in Iceland out of the main ring road requires special driving
skills and proper cars (at least 4WD),

which is why I asked him what type of car

or travelling in groups (e.g. if
one has to cross a ford over a stream with sudden changes in the water
flow)

Also I am not sure how easy is to find accomodation unless you have
booked. The population is very sparse. In towns during summer accomodation
is offered in school dormitories.

I suspect that he might be wanting to camp, hence the reason I asked that.
But I agree, turn up at lodgings [1] on the day without pre-booking is
likely not to be 100% successful, and with the next "town" 4 hours away you
are going to be stuffed.

Anyhow all the standard ring road (and sites near to it like the main
Geyser or Thingvellir or lake Myvatn) is scenic enough. Do not miss
Jokulsarlon, lake Myvatn, and the numerous waterfalls.

The only place out of the way, doable in a normal car [2] that the guide
books rate as interesting, is the Island of Flatey.

But looking at the pictures I can't see why, and with only 2 ferries a day
requiring pre-booking (for cars) timing your trip is going to be tricky.

It might be better to leave the car on the dock and make the round trip as a
ped. 2 weeks gives you enough time to do this, 1 week doesn't (unless you
skip the north and East of the Island which would be a real shame) (note
that I am not personally recommending it as I didn't go there - you have to
do your own further research)

tim

[1] I use that word as in many locations, that's as good as it gets

[2] In the sense that you can take the car on the ferry from one port and
convey it onto another. You can't use it to drive around the island.