Old May 13th, 2014, 08:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

Default Barge Hire on English Rivers ?

On Monday, May 12, 2014 5:26:45 PM UTC+1, Jack Campin wrote:
Anyone ever hired a barge/riverboat in England?

Once. It went horribly wrong but I might think about doing it again.

The wife and I fancy doing this. Is a licence/permit required?

Companies doing this sort of stuff? Costs?

If you've never done it before, stick to canals. Rivers are a lot

more challenging, and I doubt if anybody would allow a newbie to

hire a boat and take it out on one. You can get to a lot of places

by canal.

uk.rec.waterways is the place to ask.

Take your point, although the Broads are wide open to newbies (sometimes unfortunately) including tidal waters which has caused some mooring humour! :-))
I don't think river cruiser hirers would turn down newbies either.
But canals are inherently easier, no doubt, and perhaps the best choice for learners.
Have just returned from a Force 7 crossing of the Solent in a friend's cruiser, which was 'interesting'! :-))