Old March 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default Hotel guides for Switzerland and Italy?

When we drive through France we rarely book hotels in advance, normally
relying on the Logis de France handbook to find suitable accommodation
where ever we happen to find ourselves at the end of a day. [...]
In May we are planning a trip to Venice (and beyond) and I was wondering
if anyone knows of a similar guide or handbook that will give this kind
of information about accommodation in Italy and/or Switzerland. What I am
trying to find is definitely *not* the "100 Charming Places to Stay in
Italy" type of guide. These are just too picky and don't have nearly
enough entries. [...]
Incidentally I *have* looked at (and bought) the "Rough Guide", "Lonely
Planet" etc, but these all tend to concentrate on towns and assume you are
back-packing and travelling by train and bus. As I have said we tend to avoid
towns in our travels so these guides are sometimes helpful but not generally
ideal. (Also the Michelin Guide which we find rather up-market these days for
us).

Have you tried the Guide Routard? For places I've compared them (not
Italy or Switzerland) it's better on accommodation than Lonely Planet
or Rough Guide - more entries and blunter opinions. And certainly not
upmarket.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====