Old March 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Hotel guides for Switzerland and Italy?

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

When we drive through France we rarely book hotels in advance, normally
relying on the Logis de France handbook to find suitable accommodation
where ever we happen to find ourselves at the end of a day. [...] In
May we are planning a trip to Venice (and beyond) and I was wondering if
anyone knows of a similar guide or handbook that will give this kind of
information about accommodation in Italy and/or Switzerland. What I am
trying to find is definitely *not* the "100 Charming Places to Stay in
Italy" type of guide. These are just too picky and don't have nearly
enough entries. [...] Incidentally I *have* looked at (and bought) the
"Rough Guide", "Lonely Planet" etc, but these all tend to concentrate on
towns and assume you are back-packing and travelling by train and bus.
As I have said we tend to avoid towns in our travels so these guides are
sometimes helpful but not generally ideal. (Also the Michelin Guide
which we find rather up-market these days for us).

Have you tried the Guide Routard? For places I've compared them (not
Italy or Switzerland) it's better on accommodation than Lonely Planet
or Rough Guide - more entries and blunter opinions. And certainly not
upmarket.

I like Guide Routard, but the one I've used (Andalucia) still focussed
mainly on towns. Fine for us, but not for the OP I suspect.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the