Old March 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

Default Hotel guides for Switzerland and Italy?

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:13:30 +0000, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (* wrote
(in article ):

Recently in Sardinia, we just turned up in a fairly quiet town (Dolgari)
and just followed signs to a B&B. We were very impressed at the quality of
the room (and the view!) and that was 40 euro a night, including a good
breakfast with great coffee! (Coffee at Italian hotels has varied in
quality in my experience.)

Oh yes, this works quite well sometimes, I know. A couple of years ago we
found a delightful B&B in France just off our route by following a chambre
d'hôte sign on the roadside. Sometimes though it doesn't. Another time we
wasted an hour or more going several miles down an ever-deteriorating track
after following a similar signpost.

It's much easier of course in a tourist location for obvious reasons. Often
though we find ourselves in rather touristic deserts. The hotels then are
fewer and further between, usually of the commercial rather than tourist
type. Then one definitely needs guidance as to where to start looking.

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane