Old April 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
speckled hen

Default Paying in US dollars

On Apr 17, 11:00 am, Edward wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:
Odysseus wrote:

I have been calling my different credit cards to check on this. One
VISA, a debit card and one Mastercard charges 1% my AmExp charges 2%
another VISA and one Mastercard charges 3%. Guess which ones I'm
going to take?

I asked about this and was told that they always charged a conversion
fee. It was just hidden in the rate of exchange. Now they charge the
actual market rate of exchange and list the conversion fee.

Some of my credit cards charge a fee for all transactions outside
of the United States even if they in US dollars. I think that's just
one of those made up, gouge and screw the customer, bank fees.

I agree about that - especially if there is no rate of exchange or
conversion involved.

It is possible that the rate of exchange will not be as good for a low
or no-fee card. But it won't raise my blood pressure as much if I
don't see a 3% fee.

Capital One does not charge a "transaction fee". It is the only credit
card I have found that does not charge some kind of fee for transactions
in another country. I have not used it, so I don't know if the exchange
rate is different or not.- Hide quoted text -

Ive just read the cruise answer book they provide:
"if you are paying by credit card and the card you are using is visa
or mastercard issued outside the US which is not billed
to you in US dollars, then the full amount of the onboard account will
be converted by Princess Cruises, to the currency of the card at an
exchange rate at the time the account is charged to your credit card.
The rate will include a 3% currency conversion service charge.
If you do not want your charges to be converted to the currency of
your card please ensure you tick the box on the express checkout form"

So I think I will tick the the box as suggested.
Don't know if the excellent exchange rate (well in UK) at the moment
will prompt me to buy some us dollars